Advice

Posted Wed 20 Jun 2018 03.12 by Jamie2018 (edited Wed 20 Jun 2018 03.14 by Jamie2018)

Hi All I'm 21 and have recently (6 months ago) started to have the symptoms of chronic plaque psoriasis. During this time I have been prescribed dovabet gel and also enstilar spray. Most recently I was advised by my GP to use dovabet gel having had an appointment with dermatology my phototherapy was not able to be started as I moved home from the area I was at university, therefore I am back to using Dovabet to try and manage my psoriasis. However for the first time since using it (when I was first using it this never happened) I have found it to be causing excessive itching, my psoriasis was particularly bad before I started using the gel again and now whilst the flaking has subsided I am left with pale pink blotches which are proving to be almost intolerably itchy. As I said this wasn't the case last time i used the gel. I was wondering if anyone would know why this is? Has suffered it before? And in turn knows any way of controlling the itch? Thanks a lot.

Posted Wed 20 Jun 2018 08.37 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I have used Betnovate 40 years ago, Diprosalic over the past 10 years or so and Dovobet recently. I have to say that none of them ever caused itching or seemed to cause existing itching to increase. But a difficulty with skin and the body's immune response is that people can find that they are sensitive to even a single ingrediant in a treatment or even in a particular moisturiser. I HAVE found that sometimes a general antihistamine (eg piriton) can help reduce itching.Otherwise I find that taking a bath containing Oilatum can calm the itching to help me get to sleep. Generally also I use Doublebase Gel, or Doublebase Dayleve gel - which are excellent moisturiser/emollientts. I do also use Exorex Lotion and I do notice that as my plaques have receded somewhat, when I first apply the exorex and rub it in - for a few minutes I feel itching that is almost like prickly heat, and does feel to be associated with the location of the psoriasis plaques and not just an overall itching of the skin. That irritation passes after 5-10 miutes.

To take part, sign in or register with us