Working in food handling and psoriasis

Posted Sat 23 Jun 2018 19.14 by Lguk

Evening all, I am considering applying for a job in food handling however i have psoriasis on my lower arms. I have been working really hard with the steroid creams and have got rid of the flakiness and have reached the pinky red raised bump stage. I will keep going with the creams but just wonder if anyone workins in food handling or has consdiered working in food handling and what their experience was. I always feel more comfortable to keep my arma fully covered however if i get the job i am considering applying for they might have a bare below the elbow policy for the uniform. Any help here would be appreciated. Many thamks Lguk

Posted Sat 23 Jun 2018 21.00 by OhNo_NotAgain?

There is no legal reason that you cannot work in such a job. The employer needs to make their own risk assessment - eg if there is a danger of skin flakes in food. But it sounds like your condition is better than that, The employer would need to assess each employee in the case of any skin problem such as eczema or dermatitis also. In the case of dermatitis an employer might also be concenrned about the job making it worse, and their own liability. I think the best approach is to be perfectly honest and open at any interview - show them your condition and explain that it is under control.

Posted Sat 23 Jun 2018 21.33 by Lguk

Dear OhNo_NotAgain? Thank you very much for your reply. This is really helpful. Bw Lguk

To take part, sign in or register with us