Trimovate

Posted Mon 25 Jun 2018 12.36 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I see in the Summer 2018 edition of the Psoriasis Association Magazine, that it mentions the ongoing problems with obtaining Trimovate ointment/cream. I have a recurring "rash" in my groin and have had it for around 35 years. I can go 3-6 months without it, or I can have mutliple recurrances only a week or two apart. It does not respond to a purely anti-fungal preparation, but has responded very well to Trimovate over the past 5 years or so. I was running out of Trimovate so I went to my GP about 4 weeks ago. He was aware of the issues around Trimovate availability and gave a prescription, but advised I phone around pharmacies to see who could supply it. I pass my local Lloyds pharmacy (where I usually collect all my prescriptions) on the way home from the GP practice so I dropped in there to ask. I overheard the Pharmacist tell the assistant that "GPs have been told not to prescribe this" and they attempted to "confiscate" the prescription. In polite but no uncertain terms I did not allow this to happen. I had already researched on line the English and Scottish NHS websites and I was fully aware of the issues around the licensing and availability for trimovate. I then telephoned a large branch of Boots at a nearby shopping centre. The pharmacist there said he could not supply it as he had no stock , but he phoned the main branch in the centre of Aberdeen while I held the line. He came back and told me that they had stock, and could provide it - but they would need to telephone the GP before doing so. I went to that branch of Boots, they called the GP Practice and spoke to the receptionist or Manager - but not the GP. I only had to wait around 10 minutes or so while this happened, and I was given my Trimovate.

To take part, sign in or register with us