Genital psoriasis

Posted Wed 1 Aug 2018 16.18 by AWhitfield

I am 40 years old and for about 2 years I have been dealing with genital psoriasis. I don't have insurance so I was wondering if anyone has found ANYTHING that helps them? I use olive oil to keep the skin from itching so bad. But at night I scratch myself until I bleed. I woke up 2 to 3 times just to put more olive oil on. Any help would be great!

Posted Thu 2 Aug 2018 07.35 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Thu 2 Aug 2018 17.15 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Just as temporary relief of itching have you tried an emollinent? I would suggest Doublebase Gel, or Doublebase Dayleve gel (my favourite of the two), each is available in 500g pump dispensers. They might be better than olive oil (intuitively I am sure that a good quality emollient would help you more than olive oil - but there is only one sure way to find out). I have a rash in my groin - one side of my scrotum only. That comes and goes and has for the past 40 years. I also from time to time have a bright-red scrotum that looks as it it is shedding it's skin and itches like crazy. I thought it was fungal, but it does not respondto a solely anti-fungal treatment. I have a good GP for the last 2 uyears. I forget what he called the condition now, but he was familiar with the type of response - considering the psoriasis that I have also . He prescribed TRIMOVATE for me, and I also use a steroid ELECON. They work for me to clear the outbreaks. Both are topically applied ointments. There has been a licencing issue with Trimovate in the UK and some pharmacies are not stocking it, but your GP can still prescribe it. If you want to ask your GP for it see my post: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=2212 I have just noticed you refer to insurance - I suspect you might be in the US. I don't know if the things I have mentioned are avaiable. BUT: non-steroid emollient treatments such as Doublebase will do you no harm, and might be more effective or give longer-lasting relief than oilve oil. I would advise not to use a steroid based treatment anywhere near your genital area without medical advice and supervision. I think all steroid abased treatments have this in their patients' advice leaflet also.

Posted Sat 11 Aug 2018 23.49 by Ozzie

Sudocrem (brand in Australia) works best for me I think it is a UK product. When I am not watching my diet etc. I get some flare ups and this soothes the itching - apply twice a day.

To take part, sign in or register with us