Psoriasis and oral allergy syndrome

Posted Sun 12 Aug 2018 09.16 by Jane

Hi I have had psoriasis on and off for about 12 years and it would appear that I am becoming increasingly sensitive the older I get as I have recently been told I possibly suffer from oral allergy syndrome. I'm my mind there's a connection, that my body is on the attack but the consultant didn't think there was. I am considering looking at my diet and lifestyle and was wondering if anyone else has gone down this path? Jane

Posted Sun 12 Aug 2018 10.39 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Jane, there are some differences of interpretation and understanding of words like "allergy" and say "sensitivity". There does not seem to be hard-proven ( cause and effect) between specific dietry elements and psoriaisis that work for everyone. Psoriasis is generally accepted to be related to the body's autoimmune response, and you might even read that it is an "inflammation" - and that many other conditions are caused by inflammation. There seems to be a generally accepted view that there is (or can be) also a genetic element to psoriasis- whther that is actually predisposition or a "cause" I do not know. Certainly some people (psoriasis sufferers) say that if they do not drink alcohol generally, and then have a large intake, then their psoriaisis flares up. I have been a very heavy drinker for periods of my life and for the last 9 years I rarely drink, but on certain occasions I willl be in a setting where I drink a very large amount - eg 6 - 8 hours solid drinking of wine and spirits until the early hours after 4-6 months of total abstinence - and for me there is NO increase in my psoriasis at all. Other people will relate that specific dietry restrictions have cleared or greatly improved their psoriasis- eg eliminating one particular item or food group. Some people on here have seen great improvement apparently just from eating blueberries every day - but without a formal study, we do not know if they have also adopted other "healthy" lifestyle choices, or made other lifestyle changes at the same time I would say, that without getting immediately obsessive, if you can see changes that you can make that you feel will mean you have a healthier diet and healthier lifestyle - then it can only bring you benefits (even if not dramatically improving your psoriasis), then you should go for it. So for example if someone is a smoker and only eats processed foods, and does not take excercise asks "is it worth changing something , will it help my psoriasis?", I would say "stop-smoking, eat more healthily and take more excercise - even if not directly improving your psoriasis it will benefit your overall health". If your body is becoming generally healthier, that could well heelp your autoimmune system and any other aspects that might also contribute to a change in your psoriasis. Your consultant might be right, but as long as the changes you wish to make are not potentially harmful to your health I do not see a problem to make changes and see what happens. Best of luck!

Posted Sun 12 Aug 2018 17.56 by Jane

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your advice. Best wishes Jane

Posted Tue 14 Aug 2018 14.43 by Jane

Thank you Wendy. My skin is very bad at the moment and I am not sure if the Dovobet I was using but stopped because it no longer worked, has made everything much worse. I am away from home for another week so maybe the change in my diet, caused by not being able to cook my own meals, isn't helping either. Best wishes Jane

To take part, sign in or register with us