Moisturisers only as treatment ??

Posted Fri 17 Aug 2018 17.42 by Emvy

Hi I’ve had guttate psoriasis for many years (20+) and am currently having a particularly bad outbreak. In the past I have used light therapy, Dovobet and Dovonex. I was wondering if anyone has managed to find a particular moisturiser/emollient that has had a really positive impact without using any other treatments? My issue is that guttate psoriasis covers most of my body and because it’s is so patchy I literally feel like I may do damage to my ‘good’ skin because it’s near impossible to not use the ointment on this skin ( this was not an issue when I had larger plaque psoriasis)...... also it has ruined many clothes and blankets as it is so greasy! Sorry if this seems fussy or trivial but just a general query! Also my preferred moisturiser to date is aveeno, although I’m Currently trying child’s farm. Thanks for reading x M

Posted Fri 17 Aug 2018 18.44 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sun 19 Aug 2018 23.36 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I came out in Guttate psoriasis last February - had plaque ps on and off for 35 years. For the same reason as you I did not find Dovobet to be practical, It felt impractical to apply it individually to the hundreds of spots, and I did not want to just slather it over the good skin as well. Doctor prescribed me Psoriderm lotion for my body (coal tar and lecithin). I added Exorex to this - green bottle not blue (one in morning one in evening). GP aso prescribed Doublebase Gl in 500g pump dispenser,as emollient. I also bought Doublebase Dayleve Gel, 500g pump dispenser, which leaves a thin barrier on the skin. I found the Doublebase in either form excellent for immediate topical relief and last relief from itching, and no downside to using as often as you like. I also started taking a vitamin d3 supplement each day, zinc and a copper one. And I got out in the sun each day for 15 mins or so. Everything is much reduced and no crazy itching.prickling. amd I can sleep at least. I have tried Childs Farm and MooGoo - for me they did absolutely nothing. I am trying Sorion on my elbows (6th day now) - it seems to be keeping them moist and less angry, but not clearing anything - some people claim overnight clear skin from Sorion. If I put dovobet on my elbows - clear in 48 hours!

Posted Fri 17 Aug 2018 19.00 by Emvy

Ah thanks, I find aveeno very good but the child’s farm isn’t doing much! Maybe I’ll give doublebase a go! I feel like I’m fighting a loosing battle with the Dovonex- it’s a real struggle with all the spots especially my back where it isn’t always easy to see or reach. Is sorion available over the counter or do I need a prescription? Thanks again!

Posted Sat 18 Aug 2018 04.16 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 18 Aug 2018 11.26 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Sorion is definitely available off Amazon.co.uk. but has not been a miracle for me. Body Shop Vitamin E intensive night cream was just as effective as Sorion, and has a more pleasant smell. But I guess the most important thing as a first step - Sorion did not make anything worse. A quick internet search ( eg google) will show where else you can buy it in the UK. It is definitely available over the counter. Good luck!

Posted Sun 19 Aug 2018 10.50 by Terri

Did u or anybody have ur skin peel off hands palms

Posted Sun 19 Aug 2018 20.31 by Emvy

No, thankfully not x my hands always seem to escape it luckily

Posted Sun 19 Aug 2018 23.38 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 20 Aug 2018 07.16 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Terri: you might be better served to post your question as a new topic/thread, more people will be likely to read it than under a thread/topic title about moisturisers.

Posted Mon 20 Aug 2018 07.03 by Terri

How do I do that I'm new here

Posted Mon 20 Aug 2018 07.15 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 20 Aug 2018 12.40 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Terri: scroll up to where the heading of this thread is shown "moisturisers only as treatment". look to the left and you will see : Forums: Psoriasis Experiences Talk About Treatments Psoriatic Arthritis General Chat Those are the four different forum headings. This thread/topic is in the "General Chat" forum. Click on one of those four forum headings. That will show you all the threads/topics in that particular forum, in order of having the most recent replies. Above the first thread shown there is a big button "create a new topic in this forum". Click on that and you can start your own topic/thread with your own title. Actually that same "create a a new topic" button is also at the bottom of the topics listed on the screen. Best of luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us