For anyone considering systemics.....my experiences

Posted Sun 19 Aug 2018 21.10 by scc

When clearing a draw I came across a piece of paper where I wrote my thoughts last November when I was really suffering and reading it again I thought it might be of use to others. I'm a 30 something male who has suffered P since 14 and for years my consultant has tried to get me on the systemics and I have always said no as I, like I know many others are, are afraid of the side affects. I'm usually well covered in P but last Sep - Nov it was more than the standard, it was a biting itch/ pain on the scalp, legs, arms, belly button, ear canal?!, arse?!. (Sadly not a change in area, more severity) Every few seconds. I only have 2 hands and 1 life to live. I usually moisturise with epiderm twice a day, neck to ankle. Slimy(pain ful) but effective (and time consuming.) In Nov it was 4 times a day (the itching/ pain was waking me up during the night) and each time it was like putting alcohol hand wash on an open wound, all over my body. Painful. Weirdly I was not unhappy, just tired and living. To the note - I put headings (which I summarise below, sorry if some seem depressive, its a happy story!): Scales - here, there, everywhere. Embarrassing. I'm an office worker... Ointment - gloopy, uncomfortable staining, messy (bed, clothes) Itchy - constant, I scratch I bleed. I can't wear light colours as I bleed a lot, I cant wear dark colours as dandruff/ flakes. In between colours do both. Conundrum. My last point was love. I am lucky to have an amazing woman by me who looks past my P and sees me, not the scales, blood on the bed sheet or the person that can't stop itching/ relax. But I got to the point when i couldn't go on so I started cyclosprin. It has worked wonders for me. I had forgotten what it was like to be comfortable and relaxed. I can sit and concentrate on conversations, relax, be me, not live by the itch! On the downside my blood pressure rocketed, very high! But the oversight from the NHS has been first class. In summary, from my experience has been constant itch/ pain from P and it has been the bain of my life and lead to worse things which Cyclosporin has alleviated for now. The main thing for me is I feel so much more relaxed. So if anyone else reading this is considering systemics, my story is that it has been positive for me and made me realise that I had forgotten what not being P is like. I am still scared of mxt

Posted Thu 23 Aug 2018 15.27 by Sharon

Wow. That’s an amazing read. Thank you so much for sharing and it really is a ‘happy story’. I’m four months into methotrexate treatment and am experiencing very good results with my psoriatic arthritis pain in the first instance followed now by daily improvement to my plaque psoriasis. I was very apprehensive and resisted my Dermatologist’s advice for three years to take it. I’m doing well. Would prefer not to be on it but equally would also prefer not to have psoriasis. 😉

To take part, sign in or register with us