Neoral- Ciclosporin

Posted Sun 26 Aug 2018 04.40 by antonia1510
Age 22 and had psoriasis for 11 years. Currently taking Ciclosporin (Neoral) medication.

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum, so hello! I am 21 and have lived with psoriasis for 11 years. I am currently on 125mg of Ciclosporin and just this weekend ended up in hospital, from what they thought was a infection from it. I have been told it could have been a viral infection but the doctors honestly don’t know what has been wrong with me. Bad symptoms included sore throat, headache to the point where I couldn’t live my head off the pillow, extreme tiredness, unable to walk properly and fever. I seem to have come down with flu like symptoms in the past day too. I’m paying private for this treatment and just wanted to know others experiences and if this does work long term? I have been taking this for 3 weeks and my psoriasis has massively improved! I don’t feel like a human snow globe anymore!! Thanks in advance!!

Posted Sun 26 Aug 2018 10.53 by Idy (edited Sun 26 Aug 2018 11.02 by Idy)
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Hi Antonia. Sorry to hear of your experience, although glad that your psoriasis has improved. Between June and September last year, my psoriasis flared out of control such that it covered almost every bit of skin from my neck to my ankles, leaving me very sore, constantly itching, sleepless and needing to moisturise 7-8 times a day (although had limited benefits). I had a similar situation around five years ago. At the time, Ciclosporin cleared around a third of my psoriasis and I then went on to have UVB phototherapy which cleared it all. Unfortunately, this time UVB phototherapy somehow made things worse, and I then had to wait another six months to receive Stelara (and was told that the NHS would not provide any medication in the meantime). I didn't feel I could cope with another six months of agony (and time off work). Luckily I had some spare funds, so I decided to go private in the short term and was given the maximum dosage of Ciclosporin (Neoral) for my weight. After a month I was well enough to get back to work, and after another month my psoriasis had almost entirely disappeared. Luckily I didn't have any side effects. At a cost of £300 per month (plus more for the appointments and regular blood tests), it's not something I could have done for a long time. Within a couple of months of coming off Ciclosporin, large patches of psoriasis have returned on my back and smaller patches on my legs, but not causing as much discomfort as before. I'm now taking Stelara which should hopefully keep it at bay.

To take part, sign in or register with us