Lost Self Confidence

Posted Fri 31 Aug 2018 12.30 by bambam35

I am 47 years old and had this condition for over 2 years and have tried most thing to get rid of this condition. I basically have the condition on my bum and private parts with little areas on elbows and knees. This as hit my self confidence with my body and I have a lovely wife who says its ok and its not that bad but in my head it is am I only one that feels like this ???? I Have Enstillar which clears up sections but confidence is still lost.

Posted Sat 1 Sep 2018 02.24 by warren1
widespread psoriasis for 30years

look at the post on blueberries. I have been in your shoes. Warren

Posted Sat 1 Sep 2018 10.56 by Arwen

Dear bambam35 The first thing to say is you are not alone. Over the last few years I have had persistent genital inflammation which was only this year diagnosed as psoriasis as it looks different in this area. It is a particularly challenging area to live with. I have also had problems with my upper lip and also my hands so no easy places. I have managed to significantly improve things so I share my thoughts. The first thing is that everyone is different so you have to try lots of things until one works for you. I find very heavy creams don’t work well in the genital and bum area but I apply 50/50 cream before showering as a barrier and it mostly comes off so no heavy residue. I only use Dermol in the shower now on the whole of my body. Try to rinse off any shampoo that runs down straight away. The biggest improvement came when I completely gave up dairy and gluten. It does not happen overnight and is hard to do. It might not work for you but worth a try. I have also found that egg and red meats would cause intense itching and the genitals are a very itchy area. I have also heard that some people have problems with tomatoes, potatoes and peppers, the so called deadlynightshAde vegetAbles. Alcohol affects a lot of people too . But it could be that just giving up one thing helps (I would try gluten and/or alcohol first). Some things are not a cause but can be irritant and make you itch. The most important thing is that if you have a very itchy night DONT SCRATCH. Scratching leads to sores that have to heal so really important not to scratch this sensitive area. But night can be hell if you get nighttime itching. So during a flare I take an antihistamine tablet and then when I go to bed a paracetamol. If I wake with severe itching I really try not to scratch. I find that cooling can help , either a quick localised cold shower(I have done this in the middle of the night) or applying something cold like a food bag with ice in it. The other thing is to take another paracetamol if the time is right. Only wear very lose clothing if at all at night. I have been prescribed some good medication and I don’t like using steroids in this area. My doctor gave me Protopic and Silkis. I use the pro topic at night and Silkis in the morning.. however I am significantly improved by the food restrictions and I am currently thinking about trying a gluten free vegan diet. I also agree that all anti-inflammatory including blueberries help. I also take a vitamin product. Genital psoriasis is depressing and , like you, I have a great partner. However I got married almost simultaneously with the diagnosis and I really understand how hard this is. What works for me might not work for you but the important thing is just keep trying and try to keep your mood up As mood and stress control are really important. You are not alone and a solution can be found. One thing I have found is that what works for the genitals does not work for my hands so it really is a trial and error thing. Wishing you a happy day. I find focusing on something else is a major benefit too so something that requires concentration is good. Best wishes

Posted Sun 2 Sep 2018 16.26 by bambam35

Thank you very much for replying I will look at the blueberries post my wife has them every morning so I could easily add them to my diet I have also been GF since the New Year so might try one of the other options next.

To take part, sign in or register with us