Methotrexate and P3NP Blood Tests

Posted Wed 5 Sep 2018 15.51 by elliefeath96

Hi, having a second go at treating my psoriasis with Methotrexate (15mg once a week). Would anyone be able to explain what the P3NP blood test is? I'm currently waiting on a fibroscan appointment to come through because the results of this blood test were irregular so I'm a little bit nervous. I think i'd feel a bit calmer about it all if I actually understood what it P3NP is and how it affects me. Thanks in advance!!

Posted Wed 5 Sep 2018 17.26 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 5 Sep 2018 17.27 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

It is a test to detect possible changes in your liver-function due to the Methotrexate. I know several people who were placed on Methotrexate for non-psoriatic arthrhitis, and they had a routine blood test monthly to monitor the liver functions. Your doctor should have explained what the test was for when it was arranged , so that you would understand or be better prepared.. As far as I know, depending on the results and the further tests, they might change your dosage of methotrexate or change your treatment plan - but again the best person to ask is your doctor, they should also be able to tell you how irregular or unusual the P3NP results were, and what concerns there might be, if any. With my Doctor I am able to call the surgery over any concerns I have, and the doctor will phone me back and speak to me over the phone -usually the same day of within a day or two. They keep some time in their schedule for phone calls as it saves wasting a 10 minute appointment for a 2-3 minute answer. Perhaps you could try the same with your doctor.

To take part, sign in or register with us