Is it possible to get Guttate before strep?

Posted Mon 24 Sep 2018 05.50 by Burk3

Hi, So I’ve been covered in Guttate psoriasis since the start of June which was different to my usual mild plaque psoriasis. I know Guttate is usually caused by a strep throat infection but I didn’t experience this before my flare up, however I also know strep can be symptomless. However, 4 months on I still have Guttate despite all the topicals the doctor has thrown my way and now I’m currently waiting for a dermatologist referral for uvb treatment. However, the last few days I have experienced a mild fever and an extremely inflamed and red sore throat out of nowhere. I’m wondering if perhaps the strep has been lurking in my respiratory system all this time and preventing my Guttate clearing on it’s own. Do you think it would be worthwhile taking antibiotics for this or just waiting out the sore throat so my body builds up it’s own immune. Bearing in mind I’m still 90% covered in Guttate, but I don’t want this to get worse by spreading to my face as it did the first flare up. Thoughts?

Posted Tue 25 Sep 2018 08.06 by OhNo_NotAgain?

My Doctor gave me a 7 day course of antibiotics as soon as I presented with guttate 7 months ago. He explained that I could have a bacterial infection that was not presenting symptoms, but triggerring the guttate. Did not help me, but did no harm. 7 months on, my guttate is receding.

Posted Tue 25 Sep 2018 16.04 by Gid81

Normally when I have a flare up of guttate due to an throat infection I always got antibiotics. It does take a fair while for the psoriasis to fully clear up. I have had it all over my body including my face.

To take part, sign in or register with us