PsA and confused by hospital

Posted Wed 3 Oct 2018 22.59 by Ruff

Hi, I have been struggling with PsA for well over a year now but I only recently received a diagnosis (the usual: it would go away then come back, then when it came back to the point where I could barely walk, my GP wouldn’t take it seriously, so I ended up getting referred by my dermatologist, which took months). I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience with rheumatology consultants backtracking and not really explaining why? The first rheumatology consultant I saw asked me to have an ultrasound three months into my methotrexate therapy (prescribed by my dermatologist). It was a fairly good day for me and my hands and feet were better than when I was first prescribed methotrexate, but the right foot, which is the worst, hadn’t improved as much as the others since starting the drug. Anyway, the person who did the ultrasound noted soft tissue inflammation in the joints of the hands and feet then severe inflammation of the lining in the joints of the right foot. The consultant wrote to my GP about a month later noting after the ultrasound he was sure I had PsA affecting my hands and feet and that I would need physiotherapy. Three months later I see a different rheumatology consultant (same hospital) and when I spoke to her about newish symptoms - a stiff ankle and numb toes in the left foot, which I had when I first went on crutches but it went away - she said it couldn’t possibly be linked to my PsA because I’ve only got arthritis in the right foot. I tried to explain to her, actually I had symptoms in my left foot and my hands too, but she said the ultrasound showed it was only active in the right foot. That was repeated in her letter to my GP which entirely contradicts the letter the first rheumatology consultant sent. So... confusion! Has anyone else been through something like this, or have any advice? I see my dermatology consultant tomorrow so I’m going to ask her what’s going on. It has left me a bit deflated though and feeling like my symptoms aren’t being taken seriously? The right foot is certainky the worst but it isn’t the only one! Before I started methotrexate I was even getting a swollen thumb in the right hand similar to the swelling in my toes. :-/ Or am I just taking it too personally? I would really appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks :-)

To take part, sign in or register with us