PPP- coping strategies

Posted Thu 4 Oct 2018 11.10 by HelenB

Hi there I would just like to share some of my experiences and strategies. I have suffered with PPP (psoriasis palmar pustulosis) since my 20s. It was really bad in my 20s and 30s, I would have frequent cycles of flare ups on my hands, all across the palms with an excruciating red rash that would quickly turn into pustules, then eventually dry and harden and scab and then flake off. Always really itching and very embarrassing. Sometimes I also felt feverish. I wasn't sure what it was for many years thinking it was an allergy or reaction to washing powder etc, etc. Over time the break outs are now less often and less severe, now one every couple of years and the areas has become smaller and on just one hand. The only constant trigger I have found is stress, I have tried changing my diet and various treatments and to be honest nothing much has worked. I now try to reduce stress as much as possible and I think this helps. I have found that calamine lotion, tree tea oil and cucumber slices helps to reduce the initial stages of itchiness and redness. I don't pick or stab the blisters anymore- this only makes things worse for me. I have found 'cooling' my hands helps eases the pain. I have read many of the posts on here and can see that different things seem to help different people so I can only suggest that you try lots of things and see what helps you and know that hopefully over time even if this condition is incurable as I have read it should get less frequent and less severe. That has happened in my case as I believe over time, eventually your body does build some resistance to the condition.

Posted Fri 19 Jun 2020 14.44 by SharonG

Feet in a bucket of cold water helps to ease the itching too :(

Posted Sun 21 Jun 2020 08.12 by Hazel

Helen try reading John O A Pagano book Worth a look

Posted Wed 24 Jun 2020 22.33 by Rorschach

Dead sea salt works really well. Chill in there for a while.

To take part, sign in or register with us