scalp psoriasis

Posted Mon 15 Oct 2018 04.25 by allisondegroot

I’m 16 and i just started getting psoriasis on my scalp.. my mom got me a shampoo called dermarest specifically for psoriasis. it slightly goes away from the huge lumps on my scalp but it comes back if i go 3 days without using it again. what do i do?! i don’t want to shave my hair off but i’ll cut it short, i really need suggestions because i’m literally the only one with this in my friend group and it’s kind of embarrassing.. someone help

Posted Mon 15 Oct 2018 10.08 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I first developed psoriasis when I was at university, in my final year (1980), I had it all over my body, scalp and even my face. Back in those days most people had never heard of it, it was tough, but I had a good group of friends and a very understanding girlfriend at the time. Anyway, In your case I would suggest to go and see your doctor - whatever else you do, get professional medical help. Now, one of the real hassles with psoriasis is that what works brilliantly for one person may work less well for another, or not even do anything at all. I was free of psoriasis in my scalp for around 35 years, but it came back this year. You may find that you need to wash your hair every 2-3 days, no matter what you use. What works for me are the following: - Alphosyl shampoo: available over the counter, and not too drying on my hair (I am a 60 year old man, but I have long hair, and I use a little regular conditioner on the final 50% length of the hair after using medicated shampoos) - TGel: available over the counter - Alphacade Pro : I was sent this by a friend in Ukraine to try, and i found it was excellent at relieving the itching so I bought more online. It is available off amazon, but can be very expensive on there. It is made in France I think, I ordered more from a site called cocooncenter .com (from France) , and then from cocooncenter UK. There is a shampoo that my GP prescribed for me: Capasal, but I found it VERY drying on the hair, and not particularly effective for me. But many peopke have reported that it has helped them massively. Other than those, I think that back in March I tried every shampoo that said it was for psoriasis, or was mentioned positively on forums such as this. I spent a small fortune on this. I now wash my hair every 3-4 days, but the scalp begins itching slightly around day 3. There are also coal-tar based treatments that you apply to the scalp for a few hours (Sebco, Cocois) they are available off prescription, but I would wait and see what your doctor recommends before buying those, or getting them prescribed. And of course there are steroid based treatments (eg Enstilar foam for scalp) but my GP who is quite well informed was reluctant to put me straight on to steroid treatment for my scalp (I have a steroid ointment for other parts of my body). I am able to control my scalp without steroid. Good luck.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 2018 13.14 by Peter S
I have psoriasis on about 1/3 of my body...have had it for over 10 years and its getting worse.

I find the only way to control scalp psoriasis is with a very small amount of Dovobet, to which i then comb in a larger amount of Epaderm cream and comb the whole thing in. I do this about once a week. It doesn't eliminate the psoriasis completely, but it reduces it by at least 2/3.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 2018 16.03 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Be aware that Dovobet is a steroid. Enstilar is a version of the same steroid in a different form, more suited to treating the scalp underneath your hair..

Posted Mon 15 Oct 2018 20.10 by Tim

Someone in another discussion swears by a product called Philip Kingsley flakey itchy scalp shampoo. It’s available on Amazon. I may consider giving it a shot as my scalp is pretty bad.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 2018 21.25 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I tried the Philip Kingsley product - sadly did nothing for me. Likewise the Body Shop Ginger shampoo that some people also swear by. Anything not horrendously expensive is always worth a try.

Posted Tue 16 Oct 2018 22.47 by Chel93

Hi there. I have had psoriasis on my scalp for many years since I was about 10 now I'm 25. I have tried every shampoo and conditioner possible. But now I'm getting to a stage where I can not seem to control or maintain it like I used. I'm just wanting more opinions on what I should use. The itchiness is driving me insane. This would be a massive help. Thank you 😊

To take part, sign in or register with us