Images for a blog post and social media to raise awareness of Psoriasis

Posted Sun 21 Oct 2018 15.58 by Dianne Ashcroft

Hello forum team, as a Podiatrist I see quite a lot of Psoriasis affecting the joints, nails and skin of feet, I want to help people understand it more. Next week (29th oct-4th Nov) is International Psoriasis awareness week, I would like to write a blog/instagram post about how psoriasis can affect the nails, what it looks like and what to expect. Also why it is important to differentiate it from fungus so that people with nail psoriasis don't use anti-fungal medication needlessly. A picture paints a thousand words, so, if anyone has a photograph they would be prepared to let me use of their finger or toe nails so I can show what it looks like, I would be exceptionally grateful. Whilst here are images on the internet, copyright prevents me from using them, so for any image you can send to me you would need to own the copyright to the picture and be prepared to let me use it in this context. Many thanks for your help with this. Dianne.

Posted Sun 21 Oct 2018 20.43 by WorkingMumOf3

Hi, I am 46 and had nail psoriasis in my fingernails for 32 years. Every finger nail is affected, some more than others. It took 10 years for me to get the correct diagnosis, with many of those being treated for fungal infections! I have had ‘arthritic’ pains throughout my body for 20 years but psoriatic arthritis was not suspected until 2 years ago when a new GP made the link and referred me to a rheumatologist. Had my previous GP who I had since the age of 17 been as switched on, I wouldn’t be in the state I am now, I am happy to take photos of my nails for you. How do I do this please? I would also like some advice given your speciality please. I saw a podiatrist for the first time last week after showing signs of plantar fasciitis and also stabbing pains in my toes and soles of feet. I have one ‘sausage’ toe. I wasn’t impressed as he knew so little about PsA. He didn’t advocate any xrays or scans and wants me to do foot exercises for 3 months then refer back. Given the symptoms throughout my body have exacerbated significantly in the last 12 months and extend from my fingers, wrists, hip, lower back and now feet with no response to Methotrexate or Sulfasalazine, (now 13 days into Otezla), I expected a more proactive response. Would you suggest I seek a second opinion?

Posted Sun 21 Oct 2018 21.26 by Dianne Ashcroft

WorkingMumOf3, Thank you so much for answering my post so promptly xx Oh my goodness! your story is exactly why I want to raise better awareness of this, debilitating condition. First though let us address your own concerns. It is indeed really unfortunate that your Psoriatic arthritis wasn't picked up sooner, thankfully your new GP was more switched on. As to your feet, has your rheumatologist done any scans or xrays of your affected foot joints? How often do they see you in Rh clinic? It certainly sounds like you need to see someone who knows a bit more about your condition, is there a podiatrist attached to the rheumatology department you attend? Its definitely worth asking about that. Its hard for me to advise anything specific that might help you without first doing an examination. I would want to explore the pain you are getting and exclude a few things before automatically concluding it is plantarfasciitis (less than 45% of heel pain is that , but it often gets trotted out as 'the' cause of heel pain, even by medics!) If you would like to email me directly on:- lane.ends@gmail.com and tell me where in the UK you are located and I will let you know of any Podiatrists in your area that I might know who could give you another opinion. To take pictures of your nails a smart phone is probably easiest if you have one and then emailing it to me. Would it be OK with you if I used your story as the basis for a blog on my website? Thank you Dianne

To take part, sign in or register with us