The itch

Posted Fri 2 Nov 2018 13.23 by Ekb3

Since the sudden turn in weather making it feel like winter already my spots have got considerably worse! There is more of them, they’re bright red all the time and worst of all the itchyness. I’ve been moisturising multiple times a day in an attempt to soothe and keep from worsening but there’s nothing I’ve found so far which will take away the itch. I find myself scratching until I bleed which in turn makes it worse. Please if anyone knows a way to get rid of the itch or at least lessen it let me know

Posted Fri 2 Nov 2018 15.02 by leejacks

Have you tried an over the counter antihistamine? Probably won't get rid of it completely but often helps. I don't know what other meds you are using but steroids will lessen the itch usually.

Posted Fri 2 Nov 2018 19.38 by OhNo_NotAgain?

When I had my last outbreak of guttate psoriasis 8 months ago, the best topical treatment that reduced the itching that I found was DoubleBase Dayleve Gel (even better than the standard Doublebase Gel). Just this week I was at a local Dermatology unit with my Mother for her skin cancer, and they had a small display in the waiting area about psoriasis. with leaflets and [posters there were also small 25g samples of Doublebase Dayleve Gel, and 30g sample tubes of Zerocream.

Posted Sat 3 Nov 2018 04.30 by Johnf

I have terrible psoriasis on all parts of my body. I got a prescription from my GP for a new product from Leo Labs. It,s called Enstilar. It comes in spray cans and I believe very expensive and most will not have it prescribed. It,s a 4 week process of spraying it on sores and rubbing it in. It is greasy. It apppears to be clearing up some of my psoriasis after week 2. I,m in Ireland and really flare up in winter. Ankles and toes get very sensitive and frigid. I,m hoping this product will clear my worst areas especially my legs and stomach. I,m noticing some and improvement and keeping my fingers crossed. I,m on a drug scheme program which picks up most of the cost. I have read a lot of positive reviews on this product. I will keep all updated.

Posted Sat 3 Nov 2018 08.04 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 3 Nov 2018 11.04 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Enstilar has the same active ingredients as Dovobet ointment. Often Dovobet will be prescribed for the body, and Enstilar for the scalp. Enstilar may be expensive, but also it is not a magic bullet for all cases of psoriasis, and not always the ideal treatment. As with any steroid, you might see a return of the condition once you finish the 4 week ( the so called steroid-rebound) I was prescribed Dovobet for my guttate psoriasis on my body. But, as it was a steroid I did not want to slather it all over my trunk, covering good skin as well as the psoriasis spots. Generally it is a good practice to avoid applying steroid to good skin. It was massively laborious to apply the Dovobet to each spot individually, so I stopped using it. I used Exorex (a coal tar based preparation) morning and night, and Doublebase Dayleve Gel multiple times a day to suppress the itching. That worked well, and 8 months on my psoriasis has all but disappeared (most likely due to the natural cycle of guttate psoriasis rather than the exorex).

To take part, sign in or register with us