Treatments for face and scalp

Posted Tue 6 Nov 2018 09.58 by tom_m

Hi everyone, This is my first post on the forum, but I've been a psoriasis sufferer for about 15 years now. I'm writing to ask about psoriasis treatments before I visit my doctor next week. I want to be prepared as in the past I’ve found it difficult to get prescribed anything useful from my GP. My question: Essentially, I’d like to know if there are any recommended treatments for treating mild psoriasis - particularly on the face and along my hairline. The positives: • I'm fortunate in having relatively mild psoriasis. I only get the occasional patch when I'm a bit stressed. I've kept clear for a while now from the neck down, using Dovobet cream (applied ~1 per week). • I live in the UK and during the summer months the sunlight is enough to keep the psoriasis away on my face (no other treatment required). The negatives: • When it’s not sunny (i.e. most of the year!) the psoriasis returns to my face. It really knocks my confidence when my nose is quite red and it’s in my eyebrows. • It's also in my hairline, especially near my ears and difficult to treat with creams. I've tried: • In the past my doctor has prescribed Nizoral for my hair but this does nothing (I think Nizoral is more of an antibacterial anyway). • I made the mistake of trying to use Dovobet on my face. But it's wayyy too strong and my skin is only now starting to thicken. Any help/guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated. PS: Also, is there any recommended way of getting referred to a dermatologist on the NHS? So far I’ve only seen my GP and the treatments require a lot of trial an error (they even insisted for years it wasn’t psoriasis). Many thanks in advance, Tom

Posted Tue 6 Nov 2018 13.49 by Salty Backpack

I used dovobet on my face on and off for years, last month i decided i had enough of steriod creams and wanted to fix this myself. I prepared myself for a flare up emotionally and let it do its worst...safe to say it flared up and i was a walking stop sign (red all over my face)...the flare up lasted about a week and has slowly improved over the last month. Now as i type my skin is smooth and only slightly pink (not noticeable if you arent looking for it) I made changes after reading pagano's book. The changes i have made are: take turmeric daily, Eat blueberrys daily Fish Oil Daily cut out red meat, potato & Tomato reduce fatty foods & takeaways Increase Veg and fruit daily. Hope this helps

Posted Tue 6 Nov 2018 19.24 by D1974

Hello, I'm new to the forums and only in my second bout of psoriasis but I am managing mine using natural skincare products rather than anything containing steroids, especially on my face. This is in contradiction to what the first doctor I saw last year wanted me to purchase, 4 different products including steroid creams. The brand I use is Weleda (oils and lotions and face creams in a gentle baby range, but also suitable for adults), look for their website online. I'm delighted that the doctor I saw this time is fully supportive of my decision to use only natural products.

To take part, sign in or register with us