Coping with bad flare ups

Posted Wed 28 Nov 2018 8.27am by Blueyes

Hello,I'm new to this forum.

I've suffered with psoriasis for a number of years now,up until couple years ago it was only on my scalp then one year it completely spread all over with what I describe as pus blisters. It took ages for the doctors to say it was psoriasis. They put me on various medication and light therapy.

It since calmed down but for the last month has come back with avengegence as is in all different places to usual (armpits, groin, top of the legs, hips,as well as stomach). I'm really struggling to cope with the pain, lack of sleep due to pain, every doctor I see doesn't know what to suggest to help. I'm currently being referred to the hospital again for biological treatment.

My question is does anyone have any way of coping as I just feel really low all the time, and it's making me feel disgusting.

Posted Thu 29 Nov 2018 11.01pm by wendyloish

Hi Blueyes,

There are a lot of ways of coping with psoriasis, from eating blueberries to topical creams and lotions to diet management, UVB light works for some. medications work for others. Welcome to the world of chronic disease. At least you will have access to biologics, which I have heard are the "next generation" in psoriasis control.

How do we cope? If you read extensively on the forum you will discover that the methods of coping are as variable as the symptoms of psoriasis itself. It is, then, a question of trial and error what will work for you.

For me, I have concentrated on diet. This has allowed management of my auto-immune problems. Hopefully the diet is slowing down the progression of the deterioration of my body (yes I have a raft of autoimmune problems with my skin being the least of them). So my personal solution (if you could call it that) is the FODMAP diet. And a vitamin D supplement. The diet has been very successful in pain control, and consequently I sleep well, for the first time in years.

Hope this is helpful

wendyloish

Posted Fri 30 Nov 2018 4.56am by Lisajohny543 (edited Fri 30 Nov 2018 4.56am by Lisajohny543)

Well said wendyloish

Posted Fri 30 Nov 2018 8.30pm by Blueyes

Thank you Wendyloish. I've never heard if the FODMAP diet could u give me some more info please xx

Posted Fri 30 Nov 2018 9.52pm by wendyloish

Hi Blueyes,

FODMAP is a dietary regime worked out by Monash University in Melbourne, specifically for irritable bowel syndrome. For me starting on it was an experiment to try and control a raft of autoimmune problems as well as the gut problem. I had reached a point where I had lost most mobility, was in constant pain from spondilitis (inflammation in the back, particularly the lumbar region), and I was falling over due to degeneration and nerve compression in the lower back). I thought if the diet stopped inflammation in the gut it might have a general antinflammatory effect in other areas as well. And this has proved to be the case.

FODMAP is quite detailed in what you should and should not eat. The letters of the acronym stand for the things that cause inflammation -

F is for fermentable foods. This is most relevant to a person with gut specific problems as the F foods cause excess gas.

O is for oligosaccharides. These are such things as fructans and gluten in foods such as wheat, rye, onions, garlic, pulses.

D is for disaccharides. Specifically lactose.

M is for monosaccharides. Most important of these is fructose, which is high in many fruits like apples, pears, stone fruit, honey and corn syrup.

P is for polyols. These are chemicals found in some fruit and vegetables like apples, pears, stone fruit and watermelon but also a few less expected things like avocados, cauliflower and mushrooms.

If you do not want to go the whole way with FODMAP, I think the most important things to give up are gluten, high fructose foods and dairy (except hard cheeses like cheddar, and camembert).

You can find a lot of information on line by Googling the Monash University FODMAP web site. There is also lots on You Tube. Monash have an app for I think it is $10, which lists in detail what you can and cannot eat on the diet, and for things that can be eaten in moderation, how much is acceptable.

I think that about sums it all up.

wendyloish

Posted Sat 1 Dec 2018 7.41pm by Will

I recently went to Brazil , and i went to a doctor with my worst flare up, he told me to cut out chicken,seafood,and sweets in my diet the Doctor also rubbed a crushed plant on my thick plaque,Omg!,after three days my psoriasis was gone. He told me his son had psoriasis, and he put him on the same diet, plus used the same crushed leaf on his psoriasis he has been clear for years. I am sorry to hear about your psoriasis condition, try a different diet, and look up healing plants from Brazil

To take part, sign in or register with us

The Psoriasis Association is the UK's leading national charity and membership organisation for people affected by psoriasis – patients, families, carers and health professionals Read More >

Get in touch

The Psoriasis Association Dick Coles House 2 Queensbridge Northampton NN4 7BF

Email: mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk

Tel :
01604 251 620
Fax :
01604 251 621
Registered with Fundraising Regulator -

© The Psoriasis Association Registered Charity: 257414 Scotland: SC039886 Privacy PolicyCookies

Site by Spoken Image | glitterfish

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you.

If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them.