Just been diagnosed with Guttate Psoriaris. Will Enstilar clear it?

Posted Sat 8 Dec 2018 16.35 by Sarahb33

Hi I was diagnosed with Guttate Psoriasis a few a weeks ago and have been put on Enstilar foam for four weeks and Sebco ointment and Benovate scalp application for my head. How long does Enstilar foam take to work and has anyone got any advice about what I could put on my skin to stop the itching. I use cetraphen at the moment. I would be grateful for any advice I am so fed up and just want to be able to sleep at night! Thanks

Posted Sat 8 Dec 2018 17.05 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 8 Dec 2018 18.55 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

For my guttate psoriasis eearlier this year, in addition to the prescribed topical steroids, I took a bath each evening (not too hot) just before going to bed, with Oilatum Bath Formula, or Oilatum Plus bath formula in the water. I found it calmed the itching enough to allow me to fall asleep.

Posted Sat 8 Dec 2018 17.12 by Sarahb33

Thank you I have got some Oilatum bath formula will start having a bath regularly. Has your Guttate psoraris improved using your topical steroids? I have never had skin problems before so finding it very hard to cope with my condition at the moment. I am hoping it gets better in time!

Posted Sun 9 Dec 2018 17.33 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 10 Dec 2018 13.17 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Sarah, I am 61 and have had plaque psoriasis since my 22nd birthday. Initially I had it all over my body including face and scalp. But after the age of about 25, I have mostly only had it on my elbows, and behind or occasionally in my ears, with the occasional patch on one leg. In recent years I have used Dovobet ointment - which has proved to be vey effective. It has exactly the same active ingedients as Enstilar, but of course in a different physical form. I suddenly came out in Guttate Psoriasis in February/March of this year, after a hip replacement operation in December. My GP suggested that the trauma to my body of the hip replacement could have caused the guttate psoriasis. he predicted that it might fade in 6 months or so. I did not use the Dovobet on my guttate psoriasis - it would have been largely impractical to treat each spot individually - there were so many - and I did not want to simply spread dovobet all over the good skin between the gp spots. So I used 2 coal tar based treatments for my trunk - psoriderm (from my GP) and Exorex (green writing on bottle) which I bought over the counter. For my scalp, my GP prescribed me Capasal shampoo, but I found it ineffective for me. I tried Sebco/cocois, but applying it effectively was difficult. I have long thick hair, and I live alone, so trying to part the hair to effectively get this on to my scalp was not easy. Ultimately I used Alphacade PSO shampoo, It knocked the itching dead. I now alternate alphacade and Alphosyl shampoo. I also started taking a Vitamin D3 supplement each day (just a standard dose from Holland & Barrett) Entstilar is often prescribed for the scalp - as it is easier to apply than an ointment. My GP did not want to prescribe it immediately, trying to limit my exposure to steroids, and I was in agreement and happy with that,. My shampoos stopped my head itching, the oilatum helped my skin and back which I could not reach with any other treatment. Gradually the guttate psoriasis faded and now after 9 months I am clear - except for my scalp., I no longer get flaking and have no plaquwes, but my head starts itching 2-3 days after washing. I found that Dovobet on plaque psoriasis works almost immediately and I can see improvement after the first 24 hours. Oh, I also used emollient extensively ; Doublebase Dayleve Gel. It can be presctibed or bought online or over the counter, in 500g pump dispenser. As well as being an excellent emollient, it leaves a thin barrier on the skin. (there is another version simply called Doublebase Gel that does not leave any barrier, but I prefer the one called Dayleve)

Posted Mon 10 Dec 2018 11.00 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 10 Dec 2018 20.48 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Sarah, just to add a note: enstilar or Dovobet are generally very effective in treating psoriasis. However, all steroid preparations run a risk of so called steroid-rebound. The formulation of some treatments eg using more than one active ingredient, is in the hope of reducing the likelyhood of this effect. I have never observed it in my case. https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=1824 https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=2301 You can find references to it on the internet. It could be useful to discuss this with your Doctor.

Posted Mon 10 Dec 2018 21.09 by Sarahb33

Thanks for your reply. I have been to see a private Dermotology nurse who suggested that I try Enstilar so I hoping it will clear it quite quickly as I don't want to be on steroids for a long period of time. I have also stopped drinking alcohol and started taking vitamin D and trying to change my diet. The cream has already improved my skin in two days. I am going to try and find that shampoo Alphacade that you recommended as I am not getting on with T-gel and I am so itchy at the moment! It is positive that your psoraris has now cleared it really gives me hope that mine will clear in the next few months.

Posted Mon 10 Dec 2018 22.55 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I bought my last Alphacade from here: https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/item-alphacade-shampoo-pso-scaly-skin-200ml/14313.html I find Alphosyl (widely available over the counter) is quite good also.

Posted Thu 20 Dec 2018 09.39 by KarinaK

Hi Sarah, I too was diagnosed with Guttate Psoriasis a few weeks a go. I was also prescribed Enstilar foam by my GP. It cleared my legs nicely and they remain healed, however once I stopped using it the patches multiplied on my shoulders and the psoriasis spread to my arms and chest, with a couple of patches on my forehead. I also went to see a private dermatologist (who wasn't 100% sure which has left me deflated) and he advised to continue with Enstilar foam consistently for 4 weeks, even when patches are no longer visible. He then said to use as soon as new patches appear. I voiced my concerns on steroid treatment but he claimed if they are used intermittently they should not cause any long-term harm (I have read that long term use of topical steroid treatment worsens psoriasis). I think I will ask my GP to refer me to NHS dermatology as I'm mindful of the long waiting lists. I enquired about UVB therapy and he told me this is only available on the NHS. He did recommend the Phillips Blue Control which comes with a 90 day money back guarantee. I also asked whether it could be related to gut health given recent studies but he completely shunned the idea! I recommend a salt bath before bed to help with the itching.

Posted Thu 20 Dec 2018 20.35 by Sarahb33

Hi Karina It is interesting to hear that you have just been diagnosed with Guttate psoriasis too. I am still using the Enstilar foam two weeks in on my arms, legs and back and in my scalp and forehead. My back is almost clear and the other spots have faded. I don’t really feel itchy anymore apart from my scalp is really itchy but I am still applying the Sebco cream every night and putting coconut oil in my hair when it is itchy. I am hoping in time that my scalp will stop itchy! I have now been referred to the Dermotologist which will take months but at least I should be on the list and get light therapy. I would recommend that you carry on using the Enstilar foam and change your diet and cut your alcohol down as this has really helped. I am trying to eat blueberries everyday as there is a post on here that says that this fruit can help clear psoriasis. Good Luck I hope your Psoriasis clears soon.

To take part, sign in or register with us