Is it or isn't it?

Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 01.21 by Jeannette50

I have made a few (hopefully helpful) comments on the forums here. I have been told I have mild-moderate scalp psoriasis - have been prescribed vitamin d analogue solution. But this is my problem: I am not entirely confident I have been given the right diagnosis. This is why I think this: I have been scouring this site and the internet (including images) and I think if I do have psoriasis that something else may be going on too. Now my 'P' is high up on my head and on one side - and I cannot see it and while hubby took a photo he is not great and images not at all clear. It is infuriating. However my finger tips are very sensitive and so I will try and describe what I feel and see if anyone recognises this as psoriasis or agrees with me it could be something else: When I run my fingertips through my hair there are a series (at least 15) of smallish hard lumps some of which feel smooth and greasy and some scab over. Some are close together and some wide apart. When I manage to remove the scabs (quite difficult) they scab right up again in a few hours. In between the lumps the skin is flat but with a strange gritty greasy feel. Last year I had one Actinic Keratosis on my forehead which took four weeks to get rid of with a special gel and these lumps feel very similar but as I cannot see them I cannot be sure. I am due to get my lotion this week but am worried that if this is not P then the lotion may make whatever I do have worse. Does anyone recognise my description as similar to their P - where they are confident they have the right diagnosis? Would be very grateful for members opinions.

Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 10.47 by Jeannette50

In my experience even dermatologists have problems with diagnosis as clinical presentation differs so greatly. What ends up happening (as I have seen here) is various meds are thrown at the problem in the hope that one will work - often actually making the problem worse, which is why I thought I would pose the question here as peoples experiences can often help with drilling down and determining your own problem. Some people are lucky and have good Derms - but note the various folk here who despite going to the 'professionals' spend 15+ years before a proper diagnosis. Quite often the ones who have a good degree of success go down the natural (diet etc) routes and treat themselves.

Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 23.49 by Jeannette50

Hi Wendy, I would ask then why do so many people have better results following natural options that they have thoroughly researched (and intelligent folk will have cross referenced various factors with studies) than orthodox meds with nasty side effects. What I have seen on here and on numerous other forums seem to back this up eg the blueberry post. I still do confer with my Doc, but he loves the fact that I research and provide him with info that he never knew about - and often goes down the routes I suggest.

Posted Sun 20 Jan 2019 05.07 by Jeannette50

Hi Wendy, busy days just got round to looking at this site again. Dr gave me calcipotriol. I am still using the blueberries, but also turmeric with pepper along with some essential oil treatment (rosehip and sometimes just vitamin E). The oils because my scalp is so very dry. In addition using the body shop ginger shampoo - considering ordering root of turmeric and ginger just to make my own lotion. Not entirely sure why we do not see studies done on the pure extracts of these - oh yes there's no money in it. Anyway am improved but still early days. BTW about half of my scalp is involved - not an easy task treating the scalp and keeping a balance of treatments while still managing to go out!

Posted Mon 21 Jan 2019 01.54 by Jeannette50

Curcumin. I use G Scholar regularly. I just don't feel that going into a huge amount of scientific detail is useful for everyone. As you and I do, those who want to can search from general terms more scientific sites. Also as there are currently no definitive treatment studies (and unlikely to be as everyone will respond differently). Folk obviously need to look carefully when considering trialing natural remedies on themselves as natural does not mean completely safe always. However I do think that if used this way natural options rarely cause any issues unlike orthodox options. Orthodox options appear to be good for some of course. It is very much the individuals decision. One thing I have picked up on the net is that when people use orthodox medications when they stop using them they have flair ups are worse than previously. I wonder how many people were stressed when they first got psoriasis - the cortisol connection? It may then become cyclical either due to being stressed by the condition itself or more stressful life events.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 2019 01.57 by Jeannette50

Hi Wendy, I wonder how frequently scalp psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis occur together? Treatment would be a nightmare with this combination.

Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 18.56 by Jeannette50

Hi Wendy, About half way through your reply, may take me a while but will respond.

Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 22.16 by Jeannette50

Hi Wendy, Will do. Have a lot on this week but will investigate and reply asap.

Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 00.59 by Jeannette50

Thanks Wendy - with that brief post I hope no one was foolish enough to click on it.

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 03.16 by Jeannette50

So I guess the moderators remove them - I will remove my responses on this to you also (tomorrow)

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 05.14 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Tue 29 Jan 2019 05.15 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I simply report any such posts. That flags them up immediately to the forum moderator. It only takes one click of the mouse.

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 09.39 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Tue 29 Jan 2019 09.40 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Wendy: look at the icons at top right of any post. On your own post this is where you would find the "edit" or "delete" option. On other's posts there is an icon with an exclamation mark in the centre - that is the "report this post" function. Click to report a post. If you hover the mouse cursor over any of the icons, it tells you what the icon does.

To take part, sign in or register with us