Quick question on your experience of itchiness and scabbing in scalp psoriasis

Posted Sat 2 Feb 2019 05.07 by Jeannette50 (edited Wed 6 Feb 2019 00.24 by Jeannette50)

Seems very specific, but I understand that not everyone experiences itching and I am interested to know if that is the case with folk who contribute to this forum. I have been diagnosed with scalp psoriasis - it sometimes itches but this is fairly mild and mostly it does not itch. Problem I have is with constant re-scabbing after scab removal (in hours not days). I am adding to this post (A not so quick question now)! I suspect everyone with scalp P with know their head like the back of their hands - a least from a touch perspective. So, when running fingers across your scalp what do you feel. I know this will depend on severity. Mine is what I think would be described as mild to moderate although it is over the whole of my scalp. When I feel my own scalp there are areas of gritty greasy skin which is also flaky, and a number of intermittent small firm lumps. The reason I ask is that all of the images I see of scalp P online predominantly show large areas of a blanket silvery rash (varying in thickness) and it does not look like mine feels - mine is not that visible - but I have been diagnosed. Just not very confident in the diagnosis.

Posted Sat 2 Feb 2019 06.40 by audrey

Hey Jeannette, I actually have the exact same problem. My psoriasis is primarily on my scalp and some on my face too. Most severe is my scalp because I also experience scabbing/rescabbing. I try using different shampoos made to treat psoriasis but none of them work unfortunately for me.

Posted Sat 2 Feb 2019 06.47 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 2 Feb 2019 08.39 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Scalp itchng was a very big problem/symptom of my scalp psoriasis, both during my first occurrance in 1980 (plaque psoriasis all over my body including face . . only hands and soles of feet clear), and again in a big flare-up of Guttate psoriasis last year. The itching was bad enough to distract me constantly and prevent me sleeping. I tried various shampoos. In 1980 Selsun shampoo (yellow) was the magic answer, or Polytar. in 2018 it did not help at all. Note however that in 1980 selsun would turn my gold signet ring brown as if tarnished if i wore it while whshing my hair, in 2018 it did not affect it at all - suggesting that something has been changed in the formulation, either ingredients or concentrations or both. In 2018 I tried many shampoos, selsun, t-gel (some relief), Polytar (zero effect), Body-shop ginger, Phillip Kingsly, selsun blue, psoriderm, capasal I was also prescribed cocois/sebco. Then I discovered Alphacade PSO shampoo (I buy it online), Made in France and initially sent to me by a friend on the recommendation of a pharmacist in Ukraine, it stopped the itching almost immediately and was relatively kind to my hair. It also stopped the flaking. I now use Alphacade and alternate with Alphosyl, and take one of them with me to the hairdresser whenever i go.

1 Posted Sat 2 Feb 2019 21.10 by Jeannette50 (edited Sat 2 Feb 2019 21.15 by Jeannette50)

Hi Audrey -OhNo_NotAgain, Thank you for your replies. The only prescribed lotion I have used was calcipotriol which is a vitamin D analogue cream. Apart from being difficult to use, after using it for just 2 applications my P (originally just on crown) spread across left side of scalp. So stopped immediately. Currently using a variety of things which if successful at all I will put more detail on here. One thing I will mention just now, simply because it appears to be having some effect on reducing the flakiness is Listerine (original) at half strength- some find this really useful for dealing with the itch though my P really does not itch much at all. I may increase Listering to full strength. This was originally developed as a surgical antiseptic so it will address any bacterial issues on the scalp (thought along with fungus to proliferate in psoriasis due to impaired immune system). On a practical level if you find it affects your hair you can apply it with a spray or dropper (I spray whole scalp) more directly to your scalp. I am currently applying 2-3 times a day also tend just to leave it on a day or 2 before washing. Alongside this am using (not every day though) an anti fungal cream, Daktarin and alternating this with apple cider vinegar. I strongly believe though I have found no conclusive scientific evidence for this, that many people diagnosed as having P - especially in its mild to moderate forms have more than one skin issue going on and one form of treatment is never going to work by itself - even or maybe more so if you go 'natural'. You have to mix it up - due to both bacteria and fungus being so adept at becoming immune to treatments. There is no strict regime to above but pretty much as I sense/feel what my scalp may respond to at any given time. Also doing some dietary things (I posted on other threads here) - and while I do eat healthy I like chocolate and cake on occasion - just don't over-indulge!

To take part, sign in or register with us