I know I need to see the GP, but until then....

Posted Tue 12 Feb 2019 21.11 by BarbaraG

I’m in my mid fifties. A couple of years ago I started getting these really itchy dry areas on, of all places, my eyelids. Had to try really hard not to scratch, and they would eventually go away.... but as soon as one went, another would appear. I also got a red patch under one breast - I put that down to jogging and being overweight. One day I noticed what looked like a little spot on my thigh. I scratched it absent-mindedly, it bled.... and I ended up with a red patch about the size of a 5p piece, which eventually faded after about six weeks. I started getting the odd dry itchy patch on the backs of my arms and behind my ears. I told people my skin had got drier since the menopause and occasionally put E45 here and there. Now, I have multiple red itchy patches over my back and arms, many of them with a covering of white flakey skin. I have large sore red patches under each breast - the skin looks shiny and tight, and there is constantly skin sloughing off there. Also have patches in my groin and the skin fold at the base of my abdomen, some scaly, some not. I have scaly bits behind my ears. I have been putting off going to the doctor because I had too much other stuff going on in my life.... but I can’t bear this itching. I was working on the assumption that I had some sort of fungal or yeast infection in the moist bits, and maybe I had transferred it from one part to another by scratching.... but then I came across an article about psoriasis, and it all suddenly made sense! In favour of the P-hypothesis: my father had psoriasis. I have type 2 diabetes and am obese. I’ve been struggling with stress. Against the P-hypothesis - there’s nothing on my elbows or knees, which is where my father always had his patches. And mine don’t look anything like as thick as his, or the pictures I’ve found online. So, I am aiming to see the GP on Friday. But meanwhile - has anyone got inverse psoriasis in skin folds.... and do you get lots of skin sloughing off? I mean, I shower in the morning, and in the evening there’s like a loose layer that I wipe away when I get undressed. Yuk!

Posted Thu 14 Feb 2019 22.51 by joe (edited Thu 14 Feb 2019 22.51 by joe)
50%-ish psoriasis coverage, scalp, elbows, shoulders, back, stomach, calves, toes

It does sound like psoriasis to me even though you have no sign on elbows and knees. Elbows and knees are common areas but it was years before anything appeared there for me. Good luck at the docs.

To take part, sign in or register with us