Help with my conditions

Posted Sun 17 Feb 2019 19.40 by leserton

Hello I've joined out of desperation to see if someone can give me help with this condition that is taking control of my life. I developed psoriasis initially on my elbows and at the top of my bottom. The symptoms were hard scaly skin I was given steroid treatment ( dovobet) which has cleared it up. However I have now developed painful red patches in the folds of my arm and extensively in the groin area. I have seen the dermatologist who advised oilatum baths, Dermol wash cream, trimovate and Diprobase liberally to all areas. There is slight improvement but seems to vary from day to day. The rash has now appeared behind my knees I make sure that all these areas are dry after bathing and liberally moisturised with Diprobase cream. Any help advice would be appreciated. Dermatology clinic said I would get better but it doesn't appear to be

Posted Mon 18 Feb 2019 09.45 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Thu 21 Feb 2019 14.18 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Hi, I was getting red patches in my groin, which would very quickly split along folds and even bleed. . They would clear up and then come back quite quickly. It seemed to me be fungal, but did not respond quickly or fully to standard anti-fungal treatments, and recurred quite quickly. I have found that Trimovate is the best overall treatment in my case, but if a flare-up is bad, Trimovate seems to struggle to shift it initially. While working overseas I was prescribed a steroid called Elecon (or Elecom, depending on which country you are in), and an ointment called Triderm (but when I tried to get that in the UK I was given Trimovate instead). I found that applying elecon sparingly followed by triderm/trimovate seemed to kick-start the process to clear up the inflammation/rash. I foud that a tube of each lasts me well over a year. I forget the name that my new Doctor used for the condition, but he said it was essentially a combination of fungal infection and psoriasis, and quite common anywhere with warm, moist skin folds, e.g groin, below the breasts, (it might be a form of inverse-psoriasis plus a fungal element) My Doctor has been very open to hear my thoughts and experiences. He agreed to prescribe Elecon as I had found it helpful, even though Trimovate also contains another steroid, and he prescribed Trimovate. He also trusts that I do not over use either treatment. I use them both sparingly when I have an outbreak, I use the elecon for 2 or maximum 3 days, and the Trimovate for around 5 days. Once the outbreak is gone or almost gone I use a regular antifungal cream for another few days. I try to limit the exposure to steroid. Last year there was a problem to get Trimovate. It had gone "off licence" for the NHS. This meant that a Doctor could still prescribe it, but the NHS had to pay a higher price, it was no longer on an "approved" list. I forget the correct wording now. Some pharmacies tried to claim that it was actually a supply problem, but with some investigation i discovered that it was not the case. My doctor prescribed it and my Llods pharmacy clain=med that he was not "allowed" to prescribe it and said that they had to confiscate my prescription. Well, that did not work out for them. I went to a local Boots who had no stock, but they phoned their main store who had one tube left in stock and ordered the second one for me to fulfill the prescription (after confirming with the Doctor's Preactice that they definitely wanted to prescribe Trimovate). NOW, after showering I use kitchen roll to dry my feet and groin rather than a towel, so if there is fungal components I am less-likely to spread or cross contaminate. I have also found that if I use a powder in my groin after showering, it massively delays any new outbreak. Currently I am at 9 weeks since my last outbreak. Before using powder I was lucky to reach 3 weeks before my next outbreak. I was using Lanacane powder, but that has been discontinued I believe. I now use a powder called Gold Bond Body Powder (triple strength, in a green bottle) It used to be available in the UK but now I have to get it from the US via Ebay, but if you shop carefully you can find it for a reasonable price. Cuticura is another option, but i do not like the metal tin (I cannot puff-out the contents). Sorry for the waffly post I hope you can find a regimen that works for you.

Posted Fri 4 Jun 2021 21.31 by that_itch

Thanks so much @OhNo_NotAgain? and @leserton I think I can empathise with you, this has really helped for me knowing I'm not alone with this and shown some explanations (supply problems I've been told about over the years when trying to get Trimovate) and ideas to go back to my GP with. I have what sounds like a very similar situation that I've been suffering with for well over a decade with flare-ups that I've just been putting up with by using Trimovate when I've been able to get it, but it I've got to the point now where I have to sort this out. I'll post an update when I have one. All the best.

To take part, sign in or register with us