Help with Palmoplantar Psoriasis!

Posted Thu 11 Apr 2019 21.47 by Helen ST

Hi I'm a newbie here, but have had PPP for 22 years, at my worst I lost all my finger nails, couldn't hold a mug with any liquid in it and my feet were in an awful state too. You do get a sinking feeling when our Consultant tells you it's the hardest type of Psoriasis to treat. I also have the pleasure of Psoriatic Arthritis. I have been given 2 anti-tnf treatments both failed. My long term treatment has been Methotrexate, Lefunomide with dermovate and Epaderm under occlusion as well as a Steroid tape called Haelan Tape for the spilts you get on hands and feet this is a true blessing. In the past was put on Ciclosporin which my kidneys hated and tried shuitting down. I've also just been put on a retinoid only 3 days on it so too early to tell if it's going to help or not. Many years ago I had PUVA Therapy I maxed out of hours and it did absolutely nothing to help.

1 Posted Thu 11 Apr 2019 22.17 by Kiki

Dear Alex N and Scouternorm, The PPP on my soles is not that bad. Its only on my heels and I have several pustules under my big toes on both feet. I have nothing on my hands at the moment. Therefore, I can exercise, I cannot run though. However, I am quite disappointed today because I started drinking turmeric tea 3 days ago and the pustules almost disappeared ...until today in the afternoon when they came back. They seem to appear within minutes. Its crazy. They are very stubborn I do not want to lose my courage and I will continue with the turmeric, but I want to ask Scouternorm what product of CBD OIL to buy from the internet? Or shall I buy it from somewhere else? I hope you will let me know about this. Your help will be much appreciated. I saw the pictures. Amazing. I also have 2 nails (thumbs) ready to fall. I have not seen the dermatologist yet and I want to avoid the medication cause it has side effects and I have to do blood tests all the time. I want to find another solution before I go to see him. I will be waiting your answers. Thanks Angeliki (Kiki)

Posted Thu 11 Apr 2019 23.47 by scouternorm

Hi, Kiki. The CBD oil I have been buying is either with or without THC in it. It comes from a licenced producer in Canada that is certified by Health Canada. Both seem to work. I don't ingest it, but just apply it. I had the same type of pustules under my toes, but the CBD got rid of them too. It seemed to take about 3-4 months before I saw a noticeable reduction in the plaque, and I continue applying it. I also wear socks to bed, as I found my skin dried out too much from contact with the sheets. I cannot believe the difference that CBD has made. Maybe it's a fluke, but I will keep using it, unless the disease flares up again, knock on wood. It seems to be legal in the UK, but I have read where patients are having a hard time getting a prescription to buy it. There may be online sources, and probably illegal sources (dispensaries). Here are some online sources in the UK: https://www.marijuanabreak.com/best-cbd-oils-uk Good luck!

Posted Fri 12 Apr 2019 00.56 by Kiki

Thanks a lot Scouternorm, I saw the products and I am considering to buy the balm and the oil from PROVOCAN. Will you please have a look at the site and advise? I would ask you to send me the details of the Canadian site cause I don't really want to try various products. I would buy immediately the one you bought and did the job. By the way, check out this site. I would value your opinion on this, cause the products seem to be good and they ve got a foot cream and many others. Please have a look and let me know. The site is in Greek. I read it cause I am Greek. Try to translate it. I would be waiting your answer and thanks a lot again. Angeliki

Posted Fri 12 Apr 2019 00.57 by Kiki

Sorry Scouternorm, This is the site thehempway.eu Angeliki

Posted Fri 12 Apr 2019 03.20 by scouternorm

Here's what I have been buying: 25 mg of CBD per mL, and 2 mg of THC per mL. 40 mL of cannabis oil with over 1000 mg of activated cannabinoids per bottle – diluted into MCT (Medium-Chain-Triglyceride) oil. Canntrust is the supplier, but they only sell if you have a prescription. https://canntrust.ca/product/canntrust-cbd-drops/ The site you chose seems to be oil from hemp, which may be different than the oil I use. See this explanation: https://zatural.com/blogs/blog/hemp-oil-vs-cbd-oil-vs-cannabis-oil Good luck. Let me know how you make out.

Posted Fri 12 Apr 2019 12.21 by Kiki

Dear Scouternorm, Yes, the hemp is different. Today, the PPP on my soles is much better. I think it is the turmeric. Today is the 4th day I am taking it. Like I said I saw pustules yesterday night but they are not there now. Very strange. I will stick with the turmeric for a week more. It seems its working. PPP is very stubborn and I have to be more stubborn than this horrible thing. I will probably buy the oil though cause my nails are really bad, especially the right one. Thanks a lot for everything. I will be posting my progress. Angeliki

Posted Sat 13 Apr 2019 16.30 by Suraya

Hi everyone, I wanted to post about my progress! I have cut out most food groups from my diet and living on veg, fruit, fish and chicken but already I am seeing a difference. It is definetly worth doing this no matter how hard it may seem. I feel more energetic and happier in a matter of days. I am going to give this a month then start reintroducing foods again. I am already gluten intolerant but recently I discovered that the flare I had recently was due to gluten free flour. I know Gwil has done this too and is seeing an amazing difference. I am taking an assortment of supplements and I too have turmeric tea every night. I just add it to hot water with some black pepper. I have added this link for you all. I find this is really good. I do this every day and it keeps me positive. Give it a try...I use headphones and I just do it while I am doing work or even last thing at night. https://youtu.be/w4Mdjubef0s Best wishes to everyone Suraya:)

Posted Sat 13 Apr 2019 23.36 by Kiki

Hi Suraya, Great! I also see progress on turmeric. Every day better and better. I still have several pustules on my soles but I am not giving up. I drink turmeric tea every day and I also take 2 turmeric tablets/day. Its the only thing that helped me until today. Coconut oil is good as well. Neem tablets, 2/day, as anther supplement. And Butavate cream twice/day. Lots of water, salads, some exercise, lots of positive thinking. Wish you the best of luck and let us know Regards, Angeliki

Posted Tue 16 Apr 2019 21.35 by Kiki

Hi guys, This is Angeliki (Kiki)...again, I ve been drinking turmeric since 9th April. The PPP on my soles is leaving me. Any updates form Suraya who is using it? I hope my recovery will be permanent ...if not I will let you know. Please let me know if anyone wants me to write how I use the turmeric Hugs to all of you, Angeliki

Posted Sat 20 Apr 2019 21.13 by Suraya

Hi Angeliki, I was using turmeric as a tea with some black pepper but now I am filling veggie caps with both. I am using organic turmeric and organic black pepper. I was about to buy capsules online called advanced turmeric but when I looked at the ingredients basically they were the same. I am seeing a difference on my soles too but wish it would happen faster. I am now on AIP diet and really enjoying although it is very restrictive. I am delighted to hear that you are healing Angeliki, Wonderful news. Hope it is still going well. Suraya :)

Posted Sat 4 May 2019 11.31 by Alex N

Just an update. After 3 weeks on Acitretin, the effects on my hands and feet have been transformational! Nearly all the extra layers of skin cells on my feet, with the excruciating splits underneath, have now gone, and my hands are no longer full of splits and sores. Don’t need to wear gloves anymore, and my feet are almost clear, though the new skin underneath is very sore at the moment until it toughens up. For the first time in over 6 months, I feel encouraged I will get full mobility back, as well as the use of my hands. Though not without the expected side effects (dry eyes, nose and mouth/lips, headaches at the start, and now upset stomach), I wish I’d been put on it sooner. Hoping that as the condition settles down I can reduce the dosage (or stop taking the drug all together) to lessen the side effects, and just hope the remission lasts as long as possible. Not having alcohol at the moment, as not advisable with the drug due to possible effects on the liver, and am looking at diet as well, but still not convinced that diet alone could possibly have cleared up the psoriasis on my palms and soles. I would say to anyone suffering with debilitating Palmar Plantar Psoriasis, don’t be afraid to give Acitretin a go (not so suitable for women of child-bearing age, which I’m not)!

Posted Sat 4 May 2019 12.47 by Gwil
40 year old Bricklayer/builder suffering with PPP on palms of both hands looking for treatment that will reduce flareups & pain

hi Alex, happy to hear you are having results with acitretin, fingers crossed for you it will work long term for you. Those side effects are annoying, get some good quality moisturising cream, I used cetroben, it’s available prescribed through your dermatologist or GP. Also widely available in boots & Tesco etc will be good for the skin & stops the itching. Also coconut oil is very good. Get some lip balm also, any one will do and will help you greatly. Remember to cover up from the sun with acitretin as it reduces skin growth so you will have less layers of skin so will burn & increase the chances of skin cancer. Alcohol will have a negative effect but once in awhile won’t hurt when your entertaining, there are gluten free wine & beers available, 1 or two to join in with family & friends won’t make you feel left out I also recommend cod liver oil and vitamin D daily I hear you with being sceptical with diet working, I was too for years. After 7 years of dermatologist trying all sorts of drugs I decided to give it a go. I just wished I had tried diet before the drugs. It’s early days for me too. I’ve had amazing results to date & the only flare up I had was straight after a weekend away for my birthday where I had greasy food,alcohol & also a spa day so that could also of triggered something. I’m back in the healing process now and with benefits of not having side effects. If you are interested in a diet here are suggestions based on my experience Try gluten free & remove eggs,coffee & dairy & processed meat & foods, peanut. I’ve replaced snacks with fruit for morning break, replaced sandwiches with chicken & greens for lunch and salmon or white fish with veg in evening. I have organic coffee or green tea through the day and turmeric in evening Look into the Paleo diet, I’ve downloaded a book as it was cheaper than paper version. Called ‘The Paleo approach cookbook by Sarah Ballentine. Has a good introduction to the immune system, how to heal it, ingredients to store. Foods to avoid and foods to eat more of then has a weekly meal plan for 6 weeks so it’s all easy to follow Great to hear a positive update from you, long may it last & look forward to your next update. Enjoy the bank holiday weekend

Posted Sat 4 May 2019 13.54 by Alex N

Thanks Gwil. Yes, I’m using lip balm regularly, which helps considerably, and moisturising often, though peeling skin has only just started and surprisingly isn’t very itchy at the moment (but still taking antihistamine just in case). Glad you, too, are finding relief through diet. Interested in the dietary approach to help try and maintain what will hopefully be a psoriasis-free existence in the future!

Posted Tue 11 Jun 2019 18.32 by Alex N

Just an update on Acitretin, now I’ve been on it for two months. So far, so good.! I halved the hefty 50mg a day dose I was initially put on when my hands and feet had cleared, after only 3 weeks. Still clear, so having seen my dermatologist again last week, have halved the dose again - now on 25mg every other day. Most of the side-effects have settled down (or disappeared altogether) and hope they will continue to do so on the reduced dose I’m on. No sign of the dreaded hair loss yet! If I stay clear I hope to be able to reduce the medication further when I see my dermatologist again next month. So feeling hopeful that the debilitating palmoplantar psoriasis will stay in remission, and am enjoying the feeling of not having to wince in pain when I get out of bed in the mornings, while it lasts!

Posted Fri 2 Aug 2019 06.43 by Alex N

A further update on the effectiveness of Acitretin on my palmoplantar psoriasis. Now been on the drug for nearly 4 months and have reduced the dosage to 25mg every 3 days. Hands still good, and feet virtually clear (got a split in one of my soles a few weeks ago, but it cleared up very quickly with the recommended superglue followed by foot balm). Side effects now minimal - lips still peeling and have seen some hair loss in my brush and when I wash my hair, but not bad enough for anyone else to notice. Liver and cholesterol doing ok - blood tests now bi-monthly and not seeing my dermatologist again for another 4 months. All good at the moment!! Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for anyone other than a female of child-bearing age (I'm not) to give it a go, especially if all else has failed!! It has transformed my life from one of almost complete immobility to a near normal lifestyle.

Posted Sun 29 Dec 2019 05.49 by Alex N

Another update on my treatment with Acitretin. After 8 months, I'm now on a dose of 10mg of Acitretin every other day. Feet and hands still clear, and am aiming to reduce the dosage further and then stop taking the medication all together by April, when I will have been on it for a year. It has been extremely successful for me (perhaps I am just very lucky), The side-effects were manageable and I've had no issues with my cholesterol or liver function. My dermatologist doesn't need to see me again, but has kept me on open appointment for 6 months just in case I need to see her. Hopefully this remission will now last a few years without flare-ups!

Posted Sun 29 Dec 2019 20.39 by Kiki

Hi Alex and Happy Holidays to all of you nice people! I wish 2020 will find you well and happy and that during this year you will get rid of this illness Well, I am also free of symptoms and I have been like that for the last 6 months. I did not take Acitrecin or anything else on prescription I am using CBD (ingesting and applying) and I am very happy I found it My soles and palms are clean and I got back my nails that had fallen I recommend you use CBD and nothing else as Acitrecin and other medicines have side effects and as they are immunosuppressants, you can get sick with viruses, etc Alex, I hope you will be free of this horrible illness but if it comes back, let me know and Ill tell you what to buy Lots of love and many kisses to all of you Kind regards, Angeliki

Posted Sun 29 Dec 2019 20.48 by Kiki

I must send a BIG THANKS to Scouternorm who told me about CBD Oil I am a Dr and never thought of trying it but when you are desperate you try everything I am now getting the course in the U.K. to become a CBD prescriber Again guys ...lots of love to all of you Good luck get in touch with me if need be Angeliki

Posted Sun 29 Dec 2019 20.56 by Alex N

Happy Holidays and a happy, healthy and psoriasis-free year to you and everyone else out there affected by this condition. I am delighted you have found a cure, too. Just wanted to clarify Acitretin is NOT an immunosuppressant (unlike other treatments like Methotrexate) and the side effects were fairly minimal (and certainly worth it to get my mobility and use of hands back after only 3 weeks, following 6 months of being incapacitated with PPP). Whatever works for different people is fine by me! Stay healthy and best wishes for 2020.

To take part, sign in or register with us