Help with Palmoplantar Psoriasis!

Posted Wed 4 Mar 2020 17.38 by Kate

Kiki, many thanks Kate.

Posted Sat 22 Aug 2020 11.06 by SharonG

@Alex N Hi Are you still clear? How about Acitretin? I have recently refused it :( Side effects scared me off - I have it on my feet I am managing it myself :(

Posted Sat 22 Aug 2020 11.23 by Alex N

Hi SharonG Yes, I am still clear, thankfully. I gradually reduced the Acitretin and stopped taking it altogether in February (10 months after I started taking it). As far as I’m concerned it was well worth the side effects to get my mobility and life back! It didn’t have any effects on my liver or cholesterol (the two things they check with regular blood tests), and it virtually cleared the psoriasis within a month. I very nervously then gradually reduced the dose until I stopped taking it completely, and all is well so far. As I said before, Acitretin isn’t suitable for women of child-bearing age. A major advantage (especially during these CoVid times) is that it isn’t an immunosuppressant. Most of the initial side effects settled down, and the others (for me mainly peeling lips and slightly thinning hair) were well worth it to get the disabling condition into remission. Everyone has to find what they’re comfortable with and what works for them. Good luck and all the best.

Posted Sat 22 Aug 2020 14.02 by SharonG

@Alex N Aww thanks for that Alex - I am so pleased you are clear - mine is manageable at the minute - so I kind of passed on it - but now I have been discharged - I think my GP might get cross with me but Hey Ho - It's a long story :( Thanks again

Posted Thu 14 Jan 2021 16.43 by ruthm

Hi I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and have it on the soles and sides of my feet, one foot is a lot worse than the other. I am very active and constantly on my feet (well, trying to be!). At times it's been awful. Had various steroid courses (inc under cling film) which would help but it always came back. Consultant suggested Acitretin but I really didn't like the sound of the side effects so opted not to. I have been much better for nearly a year now and this is what has helped. Duoderm dressings (so hydrocolloid dressings) - someone has mentioned these already and they're great. If my feet were really cracking and damaged I'd use them for a few days and after a while the pain goes and they really help heal the area. So in my case back to walking and all sorts. I get mine on Amazon but haven't needed them for at least 6 months. Supplements - I take 2000 ie of Vitamin D, a good probiotic, Omega 3 and zinc daily (advised by homeopath at the London Hospital for Integrated medicine) Over and above Urea based moisturiser I use a Graphites cream every night (again advised by the homeopath, think its paraffin based). As an alternative to steroids I use Tacrolimus 0.1 Ointment once a day every other day. I have used it twice a day, every day in the past. Prescription from GP, has other brand names. Have a pretty good diet but have upped veg/anti inflammatory things like ginger etc. My feet aren't cured but I haven't had pustules, skin flaking or pain for 9 months which is life changing. The area that's impacted gets a little red by the end of the day and looks a bit dry but it's really no trouble. Good luck everyone

Posted Thu 4 Feb 2021 13.09 by Tina

Dear All, found this thread this morning and amazingly helpful and reassuring. Thank you all. my PPP started in August on one hand and foot but looked very different. Hand had small yellow pustules and foot scaly and cracking and sore underneath. Not diagnosed until photo refferall to dermatologist end of December Gp had said it was fungal. Been working my way through suggested steroid creams, new one each month, and epimax. Wondering if some of you find that steroids seem to clear the area you apply them to only for it to break out in a new area nearby. Suggests to me that the medication is just suppressing the disease. Now been put on dovobet to remove scales on foot. Instructions from GP by phone not very clear so experimenting myself. I have read extensively about causes and treatments and think mine is probably the result of being ex smoker and a worrier. At the time of first breakout I was worrying about alot of stuff. Like some of you I believe diet could be the answer. Leaky gut a possibility. Working my way towards much more natural diet, gluten free etc. Also eating blueberries every day now and am also a believer in antiinflamatories like, turmeric and ginger. Also take vitamin D. Thinking of trying CBD but heard of it affecting heart rate. Good luck to all of you and I'm so pleased to have found all of these helpful people. Tina

Posted Thu 4 Feb 2021 13.47 by scouternorm

Hi, Tina. I would definitely consider CBD and not worry about heart rate, because you can use it topically. Here's my story: My fingernails, fingertips & toenails were very bad 3-1/2 years ago. The dermatologist told me they were dead and to forget about them ever coming back. And the soles of my feet were thick & fissured. I had asked him about whether Cannabis had ever been of help, but he said studies hadn't been performed. I was getting prepared to go on methotrexate, but found a marijuana infused resin salve product in Canada (where I live) that was made by MJ Creams. I started using this on just my fingers because the tips were split so bad, and I was in constant pain from them. I saw a noticeable improvement in about 2 months. Then I was able to get a prescription for medical CBD oil which I applied topically. Within a year, my hands & feet were almost back to normal. I still have the nails on my thumbs & big toes that aren't the greatest, but compared to how I was, it felt like a miracle cure. And there are no medical side effects. See pictures at http://www.normtoogood.ca/psoriasis.htm and decide for yourself. Good luck!

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 18.14 by Kiki

Hi all, I will reiterate it: CBD balm for applying and CBD oil as well as Omega3 from cannabis is the solution I have been cured , bad PPP on sloes of feet and a bit on palms and no nails at all ; all destroyed NOW: all nails are back and no symptoms at all after applying and taking CBD Good luck

Posted Sat 6 Feb 2021 00.48 by Dink

I need help 😫 I have just been diagnosed with psoriasis I have been given enstilar spray has anyone used this before? If so do I moisturise after spraying it on my affected area im absolutely gutted I've never even had a skin problem in my life! Any tips to help a girl out I fell like crying i don't know how to cope with this the under the clothes part I can hide but my ears and scalp I can't and the flakiness is so embarrassing

Posted Mon 26 Apr 2021 15.30 by Clif

Hi. I had palmoplantar pustulosis. I tried many treatments. What worked for me was very simple. Coal tar shampoo (Art naturals) and a sort of exfoliating sponge (sort of like a curved sanding block for feet). I lathered the soles of each foot and basically removed the dead cracked skin withe the exfoliator. More coal tar more exfoliating. Don't over do it! Same with palms of hands. I did this 2 or three times per week in the shower. Very uncomfortable and tender at first but very quickly I could see it was working. Use a cooling foot cream like mint after drying. Simple. I am certain it worked for me in just a few weeks. Try it before taking medicine. I don't use social media much so if it works for you please pass on the advice.

Posted Mon 26 Apr 2021 15.45 by Tina

Hi Clif The big question though is, doesn't it just come back? With me I just constantly soften the scales/dry skin, remove by massaging with moisturiser and sometimes cutting bits off 😑 but it always just comes back because the bodie's mechanism of skin renewal is in overdrive.

Posted Mon 26 Apr 2021 16.16 by Clif

Hi Tina. Yes. I did continue the process for a while. Once a week maybe then monthly. The key for me at least was to get rid of the excess skin. Once achieved it is manageable. Also. For me I think it was linked to smoking. It came on when I was using nicotine patches. Anecdotal of course. That's my 2 cents. I am very grateful as I researched all these forums for info at the time. I just wanted to give something back.

Posted Mon 26 Apr 2021 22.30 by Moggy1

Hi everyone Just wondered if Alex N is still clear as your story really gave me hope and is very similar to my own. I have started taking acitretin and hoping it’s successful and with not many side effects

Posted Mon 26 Apr 2021 23.17 by Alex N

Hi Moggy1. Yes, I have been completely clear of the horrible Palmar Plantar Psoriasis since I stopped taking the Acitretin over a year ago now. Well worth the side effects (mostly some hair thinning and peeling lips, and a few other things like upset stomach which occurred initially but settled down after a couple of weeks). For me it was a miracle drug which gave me my life back. Good luck and hope it works for you!

Posted Mon 26 Apr 2021 23.41 by Moggy1

Thank you for your reply Alex N That is fantastic you are still clear and really gives me hope.. So far dry lips and mouth with very slight dry eyes have been the main issues but yesterday and today feeling a bit achy. Luckily I have very thick hair with a bit of a curl and it’s been a family joke that if I can’t control my hair how will I control my life 😂 so a little thinning shouldn’t be to noticeable. My pustules tend to brunch together so when peeled the skin under neither is very red and tender so any tips to help with this would be appreciated. I am also possibly going to have some phototherapy but the waiting list is so long and the time commitment huge not sure if I will bother if the acitretin works. Take care 😊

Posted Wed 23 Jun 2021 13.16 by scouternorm

Bazzi, is your post a joke? That link doesn't go to CBD at all. I HAVE used CBD oil topically, and for me, it was a definite game changer when it came to my hands & feet. If your link was posted in error, please post a good one. thanks

Posted Tue 6 Jul 2021 00.46 by Moggy1

My dermatologist has changed my cream from betamethasone vale rate 0.1% to synalar fluocinolone acetonide as the former was stinging my skin and I had been using it for 6 months. Has anyone any experience of using synalar for PPP as I have never heard of it Thanks take care everyone

Posted Tue 6 Jul 2021 01.19 by Kiki

CBD balm topically and oil drops sublingually I’ve been free from ppp for the last 2 years with these

To take part, sign in or register with us