Feels like burning

Posted Thu 28 Feb 2019 17.51 by Lou

Hi does anyone else feel like there on fire? I have tried so many creams and lotions nothing is working, I do have an appointment next week with the dermatologist but not sure I am going to last that long. It’s driving me mad itching and burning 😢

Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 04.42 by Trish
Hi. I'm Trish. I have had psoriasis on the palm of my right hand for 9 months.

Yes! I have it on my palm. It itches so badly that you don't care.... You have to scratch it! But then you pay the price and it burns like it's on fire! I have also had many ointments, lotions etc. I had laser treatments which I think burned my skin.

Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 05.38 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Fri 1 Mar 2019 11.27 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Lou: I have had plaque psoriasis for 38 years, but last year I came out with guttate psoriasis on my trunk and scalp which irritated me like mad. It was not actually burning, but felt like a combination of itching and prickly-heat. It prevented me sleeping and generally drove me mad.. I got some relief from taking an antihistamine, before I could get to see my doctor.. I just bought piriton - which also made me slightly drowsy which helped me to sleep. If you speak to a pharmacist there might be a more suitable one to try. I also found that a warmish bath in the evening just before going to bed, with Oilatum Plus bath oil in the water helped a lot also. (by warmish, I mean better than lukewarm, but not so hot it takes 5 minutes or more to lower youself in and leaves your skin bright red). The best emollient I found was Doublebase Dayleve Gel from a 500g pump dispenser. Good luck.

Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 11.16 by Trish

Thank you. I'm new to this psoriasis thing and I feel kind of stupid complaining about my hand when others have had to deal with it for decades. But it changes what you're able to do.... Everyday things like sleeping, using a utensil for eating, using a toothbrush, turning the steering wheel in your car......

Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 11.41 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Hi Trish, I do not think that you should feel bad that you are "complaining". There is also no competition here about who has the worst experiences (well, in general anyway). Although a sufferer since 1980, it has only been from this forum over the past 12 months that I have discovered how many people do suffer with it on the soles of their feet and palms of the hands. Those are the two parts of my body that were never affected at any stage. Personally, I think the greatest value from this forum is in sharing personal experiences. Just knowing that someone else is finding the same as you could be helpful in some way. It can be useful to read what other people have, how extensive, and what seems to give them relief. But also i think if you are on a treatment that is perhaps not "working" for you, it can be useful to read of some others for whom it did deliver relief, and for others for whom it did not . .to read what they changed to that did perhaps "work" for them.. Even the question of whether something is "working" can be very personal and subjective . . . . e.g. whether someone is expecting a complete "cure" but someone else is pleased just to be able to lead a more normal life, e.g. to walk distances and drive a car.

Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 12.03 by Trish

Thank you. I'm glad that I found this forum and hopefully I will gain a little more insight. My dermatologist asked if I had been under stress recently because apparently that can trigger psoriasis. Well yeah! Within 6 months, I lost my mother and then my daughter. Then this P started which seems like NOTHING compared to everything else. Before Christmas, I broke my wrist on the "good" arm without P so I was forced to use my hand with P that much more. I'm on my 6th different topical medication, Tacrolimus 0.1% and it's doing nothing . I read on here about blueberries which I will give a try but I'm not optimistic

Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 18.12 by Lou

Thank you 🙏 it’s great to chat with other sufferers, and get advice of what has worked for each of you. There are so many people who don’t understand what you go through, and people reactions when they see your skin. I tend to keep it covered at the moment it has flared right up, and very flaky I look my whole body has drandruff when I move😪

Posted Sat 2 Mar 2019 14.55 by joe
50%-ish psoriasis coverage, scalp, elbows, shoulders, back, stomach, calves, toes

Hi Trish, A good old while ago I used the brand name Protopic version of 0.1% Tacrolimus for about 6 months. For me it did calm specific patches of my psoriasis down for short periods of time, it was most effective on elbows and hairline areas. It wasn't fabulous to be honest. Like you I've used many topical treatments, some worked better than others. One thing that I can say with certainty is that everyone's body, skin, type of psoriasis and response to treatment is different; a treatment reported as working reasonably well for one person may or may not work at all for another person. My current areas of itch and burn are the outside of my calves / lower legs and knees which for whatever reason start to get itchy roundabout the same time each day..21:00 in the evening onwards..a hell on earth which antihistamines help with a bit. Good luck to you and everyone else.

Posted Sat 2 Mar 2019 15.01 by Lou

So true Joe everybody reacts different to treatments, can I ask if you get cramp also?

Posted Sat 2 Mar 2019 15.42 by joe
50%-ish psoriasis coverage, scalp, elbows, shoulders, back, stomach, calves, toes

Hi Lou, It's funny that you should mention cramps. Until fairly recently I suffered with sporadic muscle cramps for years, mostly in my calves. Usually the location and time of attack would be when lyinging down in bed, sometimes when asleep causing me to leap out of bed and hop around the bedroom until the spasm subsides and muscles relax again ;) I suppose it's quite funny really once you've got used to the regularity of it happening. Looking back on when this was going on (literally for years), I'd correlate cramp attacks with gym workouts and not enough hydration. It's impossible to say what other people feel like during and after gym workouts but I'd describe my experience as easily / rapidly raised lactic acid build up, something also connected to muscles cramping. Recently I've started to clean my diet up a lot, now I try and eat only low inflammatory food types and I'm generally drinking a lot more water as part of these lifestyle changes. I've not had a cramp attack for a couple of months..surely there has to be a connection. My diet changes are making me feel a lot healthier and I've a lot lot less general joint and body pain than I used to have so that's really spurring me on to keep it going. I'm going for the whole fix-myself-from-the-inside-out approach after years of eating junk and not caring / not listening to my body. I have a philosophy that some people seem to be able to eat whatever they like and get away with it whilst other people simply can't and they get punished for what they do to their body. If psoriasis is my body's way of telling me that it's in a toxic state then I count myself lucky to have got away with that rather than something much worse to be fair.

Posted Sat 2 Mar 2019 16.29 by Trish

Joe I'm trying to eat less processed foods Anna's more fruit and vegs. Also less red meat. I was reading on here that fresh blueberries have helped some people so I bought some yesterday and we shall see..

Posted Sat 2 Mar 2019 16.35 by Lou

Hi Trish / Joe I also read that about blueberries, let me know how it goes. Joe yes it has to be a connection it’s really strange, I have my appointment through for Thursday this week so hoping I can get something that helps.

Posted Sun 3 Mar 2019 23.40 by wendyloish

Hi Joe, I am starting to look into the nexus between magnesium, calcium and vitamin D, as I think there is definitely a link with these and the muscle cramps of which you speak. I had this problem but now it seem to be gone. However whether this is the FODMAP diet, the vitamin D supplements or the stretching exercises I do daily, I cannot say. Are you taking vitamin D? Do you do stretches for your back, limbs and especially your calves? I am glad the diet thing is working out for you. wendyloish

Posted Mon 4 Mar 2019 00.16 by Hycarumba

I honestly get tears in my eyes reading how some suffer, I don't think anyone here thinks you're complaining, we/i understand totally and don't suffer Alone :( ,I think the general public may find it complaining but they have no idea, keep persevering

Posted Mon 4 Mar 2019 08.16 by joe

Hi Wendy, Vitamin D is one of the supplements I take. To be honest I've recently added so many new things to my diet whilst at the same time cutting a whole lot of inflammatory foods. It's been about 2 months since I made all of these changes and there hasn't been any definite improvement in my skin yet but cramps are gone and joint pain is virtually all gone too. I always stretch / warm up before a workout, I'd literally shatter and snap if I didn't :)

To take part, sign in or register with us