Guttate Psoriasis

Posted Sun 24 Mar 2019 18.43 by _KayS

Hi, just checking in again. After 4 weeks of steroid creams my patches have gotten much better lost their angry red colour. Unfortunately it's seems as if all the patches have gotten as good as their are going to get there is no more improvements in fact sometimes they look worse. It's been 2 months and after the doctors assuring me my guttate psoriasis would be gone within 2-3 weeks I am really struggling with coping. In fact I can't help but make myself overly stressed with the fact summer is coming and I don't know if I will find the courage to leave the house. The only time I leave the house is for work and uni and even then I can't help but feel like my condition is in everyone's faces I don't know how much longer I can cope with the stares. I have tried to eat better but again juggling work and uni I end up eating anything in sight that's quick and easy. My scalp is also getting worse I've been given steroids to use but find it difficult to get on my actual scalp and again don't want to use steroids as they have always been a temporary fix. I am struggling to cope, I don't want to leave the house, can't bare to go out with friends as it always ends up with me having to explain my condition. I did however have a night out after my mum encouraging me. I kept my face moisturised and only put light makeup on which I found difficult as I always loved experimenting with makeup something I have lost to this condition, I wore an outfit that covered me head to toe after a few hours my face was covered in small red patches worse thing is I never noticed so I don't know how long I was going around looking like that. After a meltdown in the bathroom one of my friends then proceeded to tell me I should stay home until I'm better. I made up an excuse and left early, if my own friends don't understand idk who will. Can't help but feel depressed all the time.

Posted Sun 24 Mar 2019 18.49 by Lauz329

Hi Kay, I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. I was exactly the same and just wanted to hide away. I thought it was never ending until 5 days ago it has started to improve. I’ve not used any steroids and I’ve simply eaten blueberries and orange juice every day as a tip if picked up. I don’t know if this is something that has helped but I believe it is. Please have hope. I had it for nearly 3 months! I would never go back to steroids in my opinion

Posted Sun 24 Mar 2019 22.25 by Hollie07

Hi Kay don’t worry you’re not alone! I’m into month 4 with guttate psoriasis now. Also panicking about summer and I’m also on holiday beginning of May. Every time I try to wean myself off the enstillar I have the same flare up again. I’ve been taking vitamin D, iron and B12 for 4 months. Also cut out glutten and dairy. Also don’t eat meat. I eat loads of fruit but nothing works. I kid I keep crying to my mum and boyfriend. It really does get you down and depressed. So don’t worry you’re not alone. All I can say is try different things and hopefully one of those works for you! I heard getting a medical medium is really helpful so maybe that route?

Posted Fri 29 Mar 2019 16.58 by EmmaBee

I've been dealing with GP now going on 20 years. I have tried creams, had numerous biopsies to determine what is was, gone through all the humiliation with hiding the legs and arms, you name it, everything I've read in this forum, I've tried. It is very depressing and totally destroys your confidence every trip I make outside during warm weather is carefully calculated as to what clothing will hide the spots. I've eliminated all food groups at one time or another to determine if it would get better or worse, honestly I couldn't find one food group that made it better, or worse. If I went through light treatments or the tanning beds, it would be completely gone within about 3 weeks, but would return even worse as soon as the light treatment stops. I can't make myself take all the drugs the dermo wants to "try", not knowing the long term effects. But I did try one more option I read about a week ago regarding blueberries. Since no one is profiting off me trying the blueberries, other than the farmer (who should), I decided I would give it a try, worse case scenario, I like blueberries anyway and eating them can't be bad, even if it does nothing for the GP. Well one week later, I am almost shocked at the result so far, legs are far more clear and not as irritated as they were a week ago. I have had GP long enough to know this isn't just a coincidence. Maybe it will continue to clear my GP, or maybe it will end up as a coincidence, but if it puts me in a better place mentally even for a short break, I'm going to continue eating the blueberries everyday. After 20 years, it's nice to feel like I might actually have found something to help, even if it's short term. Mentally we all need a break from this horrible disease.

Posted Sun 31 Mar 2019 21.51 by Lauz329

Hi EmmaBee, That’s amazing news that it seems to be clearing! Keep at it! I really do believe there’s something in the blueberries as I didn’t have any for a few days and the clearing stopped but I’ve started again and my patches have nearly gone! I would also recommend bath salts. I use the coconut ones and after using twice can see a difference. Just make sure you moisturise after. Keep up the faith x

Posted Mon 1 Apr 2019 08.01 by Hollie07

Just out of curiosity how many blueberries do you have to eat and how often? I’m desperate for anything now. In so much pain and discomfort. Not to mention my self esteem :( I’m going on holiday beginning of May and I’m dreading going now. Sick of people looking at me like I’m a freak :(

Posted Mon 1 Apr 2019 08.08 by Lauz329

Hi Hollie, I have a cup full every day unless something crops up where I can’t but I aim to have every day! They obviously can’t harm you. Try the bath salts too! They’ve done wonders for me!

Posted Mon 1 Apr 2019 08.47 by Hollie07

How long did it take to work for you? I’ve tried bath salts and they only make my skin even more itchy unfortunately. I’m wondering if there’s a possibility I might still have strep bacteria in my body. I honestly just don’t know what else to do. I’ve nevee suffered with psoriasis this bad. Nothing seems to take it away and I’m on month 4 with it now. I was told my the doctors it should be gone in a month and it doesn’t seem to be budging

Posted Mon 1 Apr 2019 13.24 by EmmaBee

I'm eating a palm full of blueberries per day either on salad, smoothie, or oatmeal. My skin is noticeably clear, no itching, and my back feels so smooth as well as my legs. I hope this works for everyone who tries it, it has made me a believer, and I will take any form of natural relief I can get for however long I can. I think any moisterizer will help your skin, salt is more drying so it may itch more after a salt bath. I've tried using a capful of olive oil in the bath that helps moisterize by skin but be careful with that as it will make the tub slippery, you can use it on a cloth in the shower that works really good. Honestly whatever your preference of treatment i hope it brings relief to you, I'm just so shocked at how well the blueberries have worked, I am staying with it, but whatever works for you, just give it some time to see results, my results were immediate, but with someone else,it may take longer, our bodies and chemistry are all different and respond differently. Good luck on this journey!!

Posted Wed 3 Apr 2019 21.53 by BobbyJovi96

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and i'm hoping I will find some remedies of treatment for my guttate psoriasis! Ive had this on my torso, stomach and both my sides since middle of january after have a bout of strep throat, so pretty much nearing the 3 month mark which i thought by now it would have been cleared. I've had steriod creams that worked but after a few days (i think a week was the longest i went without a bad flare up) it all eventually came back. Since beginning of March i have been using Lush Cosmetics 'Dream Cream' which after reading a lot of the reviews from people with psoriasis i decided to give it a go and although it does keep my condition calm and some days it looks like its nearly all faded i still have the marks come back. With Summer literally around the corner i am becoming concerned that im still gonna have this on my body and i just want rid of it. I would say my condition as of right now is the calmest it has been, but i am hearing the end of the Lush Dream Cream and i am up for trying different lotions. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully somebody can steer me in the right direction. Cheers!

Posted Wed 3 Apr 2019 22.07 by Lauz329

Hi Bobby. You sound similar to me however I had it head to toe. I’m finally on the way to clearing but still got a long way to go. The blueberries definitely helped me along with bath salts and aveeno moisturiser. I also recommend taking vitamin D supplements. Good luck with your journey

Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 02.25 by EmmaBee

I take organic coconut oil twice a day ( capsule form) to relieve my dry skin. I've been on the blueberries for two weeks and I can;t believe how clear my skin is getting. I'm actually excited to get up every day and look at my legs, something I avoided for many years!! it's been 20 long years dealing with this curse of guttate psoriasis, I am so blessed to have this time to enjoy my skin again.

Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 08.49 by BobbyJovi96

Hi Lauz329 and EmmaBee thanks for the replies! I wouldn't say i have dry sensitive skin, like before i got guttate psoriasis my skin was always clean as i would use coffee scrub and moisturise regular and i still do to keep the skin nice and soft. But im up for trying anything so is there a specific type of bath salts to use? And what way do you take the blueberries? I.e like a cup or handful every morning? I'm also going to use the sunbeds cos ive read that it can help

Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 16.21 by Darren S
I’m in my late 40’s, married with three kids. Had my first and only flare in Jan 2018. Just living with it now.

Hi All, I was diagnosed with Guttate in mid January after spending December with strep throat. I’ve been given creams, Hydromol and Cetreben from my GP along with Clobaderm and now Bentnovate as my steroids. This is my first ever flare and it’s driving me crazy. From the neck down I’m covered in red spots of varying sizes from tiny ones ones where I think they have joined to form big palm sized patches. Initially there was some plaque scaling , but now after using the creams some spots have faded to smooth very pale pink patches whilst others are still very red and a bit scaly. I’m due to start photo therapy next week. I’m hoping that this will clear it as I am very reluctant to go down the other route offered to me, that being Methetrexate. I’m itchy for most of the time and feeling like I have mild sunburn. This thread has been quite helpful to read and has given me a few ideas. I hope everyone eventually has clear skin soon.

Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 16.44 by EmmaBee

Darren S - mine started out exactly as you described, I have tried many remedies over the years and nothing really worked but the light therapy. I started with the Blueberries two weeks ago and I almost feel like I'm having a dream as the GP is almost completely gone. I've been eating blueberries everyday, I noticed a remarkable improvement just on day 3. I wish I had taken a before picture but the results are unbelievable. I hope you can find a natural remedy that can help before going on the drugs. I stopped those years ago as they weren't helping anyway and I didn't want the long term side effects to catch up with me later, which they always will especially with steroids. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 17.46 by Hollie07

I’ve also had guttate psoriasis 4 months now and I’m still waiting on a hospital appointment. I’ve started the blueberries but I’ve not noticed any improvements yet. I suppose everyone is different but I’m desperate for something! I go on holiday beginning of May and I’m dreading it now. I’m 26 and should feel good at showing my body and all I want to do is cover up from head to toe. So depressing.

Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 21.24 by Darren S
I’m in my late 40’s, married with three kids. Had my first and only flare in Jan 2018. Just living with it now.

EmmaBee and Hollie07- thanks for the replies, it’s just so good to hear from others in a similar situation. This is my first flare and it’s completely knocked me sideways. I’m at a loss at how to get well. I’m fine if this is my body saying, “take it down a peg, you’re 48, but you pretend you’re 28”. I’ll behave myself. To be honest I’m angry at how this condition is ruling my life.. I’m a medically retired stay at home dad with three kids, who’s trying to grasp that he’s now got to live with a ‘chronic, incurable lifelong condition’. I hate having to slap creams all over my body two or three times a day, and then sit there for ages whilst they soak in. To be honest I’m really pinning my hopes on the photo therapy being a success as I don’t want to go down the drugs route of methotrexate. Sorry if it seems like I’m a whining moaner, I’m not. I’m just trying to adjust to having my lifestyle changed against my wishes x

Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 22.00 by Hollie07

I think the phototherapy works on a lot of people. I’ve read where it’s come back after they’ve finished they’re sessions. But again everyone is different. I’m sick of using steroid cream and I’m scared of the use of steroids long term. I keep stop using them and then my skin gets so bad and I can’t cope and I’m back to square one. I honestly feel your pain. I don’t think others realise how horrible the disease is and how it makes you feel. I don’t even think doctors know! I went to the doctors in Feb and I’m still yet to receive an appointment for a dermatologist. I’m honestly at a loss now. I’ve tried cutting out gluten, dairy, I don’t eat meat. I’ve been taking lots of vitamins. Honestly nothing is working for me apart from the enstilar.

Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 22.15 by Lauz329

Hi BobbyJovi, I have around a cup full a day sometimes on their own but mainly with yogurt or something similar. I’m currently using the Coconut Dead Sea salts from how bargains. Only £1.99 for a big tub and I love them! Hope the tips help x

Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 22.53 by Darren S

Hi Hollie07, If the UVB is a success, I may take the plunge and purchase a UVB light canopy. I’ve read on these forums that some use the lights a couple of times a week for a minute at a time and it completely keeps their skin in check and they are psoriasis free. They are not cheap around £1500, but I think I’m the long term it’s money well spent if I can go about my life as normal.

To take part, sign in or register with us