psoriasis,is there always other health issues

Posted Tue 5 Mar 2019 14.48 by Hycarumba

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone else suffers other symptoms related to p or if p is the cause of other health issues,

Posted Wed 6 Mar 2019 08.01 by joe
50%-ish psoriasis coverage, scalp, elbows, shoulders, back, stomach, calves, toes

This is a question that medical experts are unable to answer. Cause, causation of psoriasis itself is generally accepted as an unknown and correlation to other health issues and indicators is a minefield of unknowns. Anecdotally I can say that personally I suffered with widespread body / joint pain and a slow digestive tract / metabolism but I'm unable to say with certainty if psoriasis is the cause of these symptoms or conversely if these symptoms are actually the cause of my psoriasis. I know what I "think" about how these conditions are related..I just don't know if what I think is 100% correct ;)

Posted Wed 6 Mar 2019 09.07 by Batmother

Hello Hycarumba - totally agree with Joe here, it is a minefield. Personally my "journey" with this ( I suffer from PsA ie the arthritis but do not have any skin lesions..yet.. and its getting on for 6yrs) started after a chest infection which initially was thought to be whooping cough and I was under a fair amount of stress, Daughter with Anorexia, My eldest brother dying of Cancer, and a job off the scale stress wise, the perfect storm for me. I was told that if you have one Auto Immune Disease you are more likely to develop another so just keep a watchful eye on what is happening to you that you don't feel is right for you. My first symptoms were what I thought was pain from wearing new shoes after flip flops for weeks on holiday, ie Achilles tendonitis, followed by not being able to bend my elbows ( was treated for tennis elbow at the start with steroid injection into joint which did nothing to alleviate the pain) , then tender areas around my knees/swollen areas on back of my hands, rib pain, eventually diagnosed with PsA. Rheumatologist Prof David Marshall here in Renfrewshire got to bottom of it after I was fobbed off by my doctor who was a bit dismissive at the start so I had to really push it to be referred to a consultant. A major part of the battle is to be under the care of a decent consultant. Apologies for the long post I am getting carried away. I have been really impacted by this condition but reading and being in contact with others somehow makes it not so unbearable knowing there are people who "get it" ,, when folks around me don't seem to and really why would they? because I think until you have this ignorance is def bliss. I look and feel ok some days and the next I can be seized up in pain literally over night, sometime with swelling and pain, swelling and no pain , no swelling loads of pain, it really is that unpredictable for me anyway. Best wishes to all on here and don't ever feel you are alone and you can "vent" to "kindred spirits".

Posted Wed 6 Mar 2019 17.52 by Hycarumba

thanks for the replies, I have been diagnosed arthritis, naproxen or other painkillers do nothing for this, at 47 with heart/stroke and p rife in family (I'm the oldest alive in my family) and had heart disease diagnosed two years ago and p three years ago ,arthritis two years ago ,cops five years ago I can't help thinking there is a link it sometimes gets me very down

To take part, sign in or register with us