Foods that cause inflammation

Posted Sat 16 Mar 2019 01.40 by wendyloish

Inflammation is part of the body's natural immune response. In autoimmune diseases part of the problem is that inflammation becomes chronic. So reduction in inflammation is a potential way to control symptoms. It is not a cure. That being said, psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis are prominent members of the autoimmune disease club. Monash University has developed a diet aimed at controlling the symptoms of inflammation in the context of irritable bowel syndrome. I went onto this diet in the hope that by controlling gut inflammation I could have an impact on my psoriatic arthritis and spondilitis (psoriatic arthritis in the back). For me it worked!!! So I wanted to share this with others in the hope that it would work for them as well. The diet is called FODMAP, with the letters standing for groups of inflammation causing foods. FODMAPs are a collection of short chain carbohydrates that are not properly absorbed in the gut. F is for fermentable These are foods that are difficult to digest, with bacteria in the gut fermenting undigested carbohydrates to produce gases. O is for oligosaccharides These comprise fructans and galacto-oligosaccharides. The former are polymers of fructose and they occur in such things as artichokes, asparagus, leeks, garlic, onions . The latter are found in legumes, cashews, pistachios and soy products. Importantly, this group includes wheat and rye. D is for disaccharides Here is where lactose comes in. M is for monosaccharides The main culprit here is fructose, and the balance between fructose and sucrose. Foods with excess fructose include apples, pear, stone fruit, mangoes and watermelon. And P is for polyols A polyol is an organic compound containing multiple hydroxyl groups. Foods containing polyols include apples, pears and stone fruit, avocado, cauliflower and mushrooms. Monash have put up on line a lot of info on their diet, and they have an app which details foods and what should and should not be eaten, including limits on foods in the grey area between allowable and forbidden. It cost me $A10. Once you get used to what is and is not acceptable, you can even find junk food that is acceptable, like plain potato crisps, available for your guilty pleasure. It takes a while to adjust to this new way of eating, but it can be worthwhile. In simple terms the diet eliminates gluten, lactose and especially excess fructose. Other things may or may not be triggers, and Monash suggests a trial and error basis for reintroduction of foods one at a time. Me? I am not prepared to take the risk. I like feeling better too much. wendyloish

To take part, sign in or register with us