Are dermatologists good enough?

Posted Tue 19 Mar 2019 12.14 by Pip

Might sound harsh, but hey surely we're all entitled to discuss this sensibly. Had chronic psoriasis for over 30 years now and not impressed by the many dermatologists I have encountered. On asking one why psoriasis is symmetrical I was told: " because it is." We deserve better than that don't we. Always told there is no cure. This negativity is exactly what we are all trying to tackle daily. This definitely can lead to depression and I think needs to be taken more seriously. What do you think?

Posted Tue 19 Mar 2019 12.50 by Kay01

Hi pip your right I've had psrosisis since I was 15 now I'm 27 I've got patches everywhere it looks alwful but I go to doctors and they will not send me to a dermatologist. We do deserve better I keep going to the doctor's and they just seem to parm me off with stuff that doesn't work , I did have scalp psoriasis but the doctor gave me something that actually worked since then I havent had it back in my scalp but everywhere else I have I've tried various different types of treatment but , I did find one thing that does slightly help it is eating fruit but like you said there is no cure but in some people have been clear I know we are all different. I can get depressed A lot of the time because of it.

1 Posted Fri 22 Mar 2019 16.29 by mappaman
I am Gary and have had this horrible condition for more than 25 years and I am still suffering now !

Hi pip, I totally agree, I too have had ps for around 30 years. I came to the conclusion many years ago that a dermitologist is only really interested in helping fixing the things that can be fixed ! As you say, there is no cure and I must have been through every cream tablet and treatment out there plus all the advice on diet and things to eat. It is really hard coping with this condition and its ups and downs and I get very depressed about it too !

1 Posted Fri 22 Mar 2019 18.32 by Pip

Kaya01 and Gary They say that there is no cure I don't agree We have to stay positive and we can overcome it without them That's my point. Take care Pip

Posted Sat 30 Mar 2019 20.40 by charmarr

I consider myself very lucky to have a wonderful Dermatologist. She is very patient with me and has no problem with me asking questions. I see her every three months and she explains my blood and kidney function tests each time I see her. This very caring young lady has given me my life back.

1 Posted Mon 1 Apr 2019 13.43 by Pip

Sounds like you are on methotrexate then. I hope you are aware of the possible side effects of this It is used to treat some cancers.

Posted Mon 1 Apr 2019 15.42 by charmarr

I am on Cyclosporin.That has side affects also,but after just over a year on it I have suffered none. Cyclosporin started working within days.As I said earlier she is keeping a close watch on my situation.

Posted Sat 6 Apr 2019 22.25 by charmarr

Why should Iget off it when it is keeping the psoriasis at bay?

To take part, sign in or register with us