Acitretin - does it make your p worse before it gets better

Posted Thu 28 Mar 2019 20.35 by Tink

After being on methotrexate tablets followed by injections for2 years my p started to resurface & I started to feel really sick all the time so my derm has recommended acitretin - after 3 weeks my skin looks awful the p looks so red and angry and seems to be spreading my creams that I normally use to calm it down are having no effect - It has erupted in places where I had it years ago (I have suffered with this awful condition for 50 years) have been back to see derm who has increased my dose to 30mg per day - will I ever see an improvement or is this drug just not for me

Posted Sat 13 Jul 2019 01.55 by Tom0202

Hello! I was wondering if you had any updates on your p and whether it improved? I started Acitretin 4 weeks ago and I noticed improvement after one week, but then the following week it got so bad it was better before I started the drug. Wondering if the ‘it gets worse before it gets better’ is true...?

Posted Mon 20 Jul 2020 17.05 by Alimart

Tink, I know it was a long time since your post. However, I have severe plaque psoriasis on the soles of my feet. Hard skin, cracking and topical treatments seem to have no effect. At worst point, my feet would crack open when I got out of bed then I hobbled about. I was almost in tears (not easy for a male in his sixties) it hurt so bad. I started on Acitretin 25mg every day. My feet got sore (red) and very, very itchy but hard skin just fell away and within 10 days severe psoriasis had disappeared and my feet were back to normal. However, I am not happy taking such a strong drug on top of other drugs (I have epilepsy) and wanted to cut down. I reduced Acitretin to by 50% which was OK (up to a point) but after 4 weeks can feel my soles beginning to harden up. Am now looking at natural diet to cure from within and not need to take drugs.

Posted Thu 23 Jul 2020 19.37 by The farmers wife

Hi, I have been taking acitetrin for 4 years and to be honest I cant remember whether I noticed a change to my P, I did notice that I started to lose my hair pretty much straight away. On a lower dose now and the hair grew back curly

To take part, sign in or register with us