First diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis

Posted Sun 12 May 2019 07.47 by EllieJ97 (edited Sun 12 May 2019 07.53 by EllieJ97)

Hi there, I have recently been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I have also suffered with psoriasis of my scalp and ears for as long as I can remember! My gp originally referred me to physio as it started with just my right hip which I believed I damaged during a fitness class however months down the line the condition got progressively worse starting in my back and neck and then in both my knees and my ankles causing painful swelling that still wont go down...and has recently started in my wrists which is making day to day tasks and my job difficult. Finally got a referral to rheumatology and after me pushing my gp I got my appointment expedited as I was and am in absolute agony! It my was my first app this week and I was told it was psa I have had blood tests and x Ray's and steroid injection in the mean time for my pain as I am going on holiday shortly. I was told once my results come back I will be given an appointment and I will start on methotrexate. I just basically wanted to ask people who have been on/ are currently on this medication what their quality of life is? I know everyone is different and it can take a while to get on the right dose or even medication. I am only 22 and many months of my life have already been affected in the process. It does get me down and upset my now I have a definite diagnosis I'm trying to stay positive! Any help and advice would be massively appreciated!!! :)

Posted Wed 15 May 2019 23.22 by wendyloish

Hi Ellie, I am sorry that you have such a diagnosis at such a young age. There is a lot of information out there on methotrexate, both on the web, on this site (Look under "Psoriasis and Treatments") and in the forum (use the search icon on the top of the page). There is some downside to long term methotrexate use, and I have some suspicions that it might be being used as a more economical treatment where government is involved in paying. There are newer drugs also available, and it might be useful for you to know about them so that you can discuss alternatives with the rheumatologist. No doubt you have been told that your condition is chronic, and that the best that can be done today is symptom management. No matter the drug, all of them do one thing, they suppress the immune system. Some have long term organ damage problems, and as you are so young this should be a question for you. What is the long term problem with any particular medication? I am a sufferer of psoriatic arthritis and spondilitis (arthritis in the back) and I am controlling symptoms using diet. My diet is FODMAP, and it eliminates inflammation causing foods. I also do some stretching exercises each morning, especially for my back and knees. You physio should have given you some pointers for that. I take vitamin D capsules (one per day) as low levels of this have been identified as linked to psoriasis and hence psoriatic arthritis. If you scroll through the forum you may see some of the posts I have made on diet. And there is a lot of positive feedback on a couple of anti-inflammatory foods, blueberries and tumeric (must be taken with pepper). Why not try them as well? Good luck wendyloish

To take part, sign in or register with us