Technique Help for Detecting/Treating Scalp Psoriasis

Posted Wed 10 Jul 2019 10.28 by SamMacedonio92

Hi all! New here, and happy to meet you all. I'm looking for some advice in relation to helping treat my girlfriends scalp psoriasis. My dad also has psoriasis so it's a bit of coincidence that she does too, so I've experience with how painful it can be and difficult to live with. My dad's head is shaven and he doesn't have any on his scalp regardless so this problem is new to me. Most nights I help out by applying ointment to her head - she's a full head of hair and quite long, which she holds dear. She's had success braiding it before when she lived in Africa, which exposed it to the sun constantly and helped immensely. She's also considered shaving the back of her scalp to give better access for treatment, but now she lives in (not so sunny) England again braiding wouldn't be as effective. It's also hard as she has restrictions for work. Anyway! We've a technique to apply treatment but it's still difficult to make sure that I'm covering the affected areas, and I'm sure sometimes I miss some. It's also hard at times to detect where it is getting more severe and where I've already put ointment. I had thought perhaps to use an infra-red light to detect the psoriasis, or some other form of lighting which might help show it up. Do you guys have any thoughts on this, if it might work, or any advice generally on how to apply the ointment better to her scalp? Any help/advice or just shared experiences would be very thoroughly appreciated! Sam

Posted Wed 10 Jul 2019 13.17 by OhNo_NotAgain?

In my case it was simple to see the psoriasis plaques on my scalp, it was never difficult to see them. But generally I only ever used shampoos on the scalp. You dont say what type of pointment you are using. If you are using something like sebco (or cocois), then just work through the scalp applying pretty well everywhere that flakes or itches if you cannot see the plaques. I live alone now and it is extremely difficult to appy to ones own scalp and ensure that you have covered everywhere that needs it. But basically I tried parting the hair to get to the scalp, in the same manner as a hairdresser does when applying a full colour, and working progressively across the scalp. If you have a steroid, then certainly I would recommend not to apply to healthy skin if it can be easily avoided (and my doctor agreed with me on that approach). But people who use Enstilar Foam, presumably cover the enttire scalp without need to identify individual plaques. Does your girlfriend also use a specific shampoo to treat the psoriasis? If you can find one that works for you then that does away with the need to target the plaques.

Posted Sun 21 Jul 2019 00.38 by psoriasis123

I have this problem, I have psoriasis on my scalp and I'm single and it's almost impossible to do by yourself, I tried to get my roommate to do it for me once but he was so bad at doing it. If you get prescribed dovobet (which has vitamin D in which is why sun is helpful) that is really useful as it has a nozzle. I apply it after I get out the shower and my hair is still damp and malllubale, and I use a comb to party my hair, across the top of the scalp and then apply it in the mirror. And on the side I got my hair shaven quite close to the scalp so it's easy to apply and more sun gets on it. Also I think persistence is the important, it took like 2 weeks of applying dovobet before I noticed any difference, and then I applied for another 2 weeks, I use dovobet every other 4 weeks, it very delicate and time consuming, but it is very effective

Posted Mon 22 Jul 2019 08.58 by JanieP

Hi, I've been prescribed Exorex lotion which seems to be working, (after 2 years of snowflakes!) I need to apply it to my scalp at least twice a day. I bought a medicine syringe from the chemist, this really helps to get the lotion on the scalp in the right places. Unfortunately if I miss an application it comes back again.

To take part, sign in or register with us