Worsening flare ups and the menopause

Posted Sun 4 Aug 2019 00.44 by Elizabeth

Thought I had found the miracle cure with Enstilar the first time I used it. The results were amazing initially. I was advised by my doctor to use it for 4 weeks and then to give my skin a break and use Exorex for the next 4 weeks and so on. Needless to say I am on an Exorex month which is why I am awake now as it really doesn’t work for me. Sadly each time I go back on Enstilar it is less effective. I am now wondering if my ever worsening psoriasis may be caused by hormone levels and the menopause.. The emotional rollercoaster and lack of sleep is wearing me out. I am 55 and wondering if there are any other ladies out there who have found a link between worsening flare ups and dropping oestrogen levels?

Posted Wed 7 Aug 2019 17.06 by Dorothy

My psoriasis actually started getting better as I started going through the menopause. And on a daily basis, I find that bad menopausal symptoms mean my psoriasis gets much better and when I'm going through a patch where the meno symptoms aren't too bad, my psoriasis gets worse! So I'd say there is a definite link, but it seems mine is the opposite way round to yours!

Posted Thu 8 Aug 2019 09.46 by Elizabeth

Thanks for your reply Dorothy. I have now stopped using exorex and am back on Dovonex which is calming everything down. My doctor said that reports on links between hormone levels and psoriasis are currently inconclusive but has now put me on HRT to see if this helps. Fingers crossed!

To take part, sign in or register with us