Soak before you cream

Posted Mon 5 Aug 2019 09.27 by Andyep1

I am nearly 73 years old and have had psoriasis since I was 11. The best advice I ever had was from the Berber Pharmacy in Marrakech. A woman there said that you should soak in a warm bath for 20-30 minutes and use exfoliating gloves to gently remove the scales while still in the bath. This leaves the real skin exposed and then when dry, you should use whatever creams, oils, gels you prefer. This means the application gets through properly without having the scales in the way. I now do this every other day and apply cream morning and evening but did it every day to start with. This seems to stop a build-up of scales and keeps me comfortable. It is hard to keep on doing this (especially for so many years) and even harder in the winter when it is cold and it would be easier and warmer to get dressed without creaming up but it is really important to be disciplined about it. You have to make the time - watch less TV, read in the bath instead. It is worth the trouble. My psoriasis hasn't gone but it is less noticeable, less itchy and I no longer leave a trail of dry scales everywhere (less dusting and hoovering too!)

To take part, sign in or register with us