10 year old son with psoriasis

Posted Wed 7 Aug 2019 14.32 by bdowdswell

Hi All, My 10 year old boy has had psoriasis for around 4-5 years. It started on his bottom, then a patch on the side of his abdomen appeared. Have tried every cream the doctors have prescribed as well as other off the shelf creams and the only thing that shifted it was a steroid based cream which cannot be used indefinitely as it thins the skin. Over the last 12 months, new smaller patches have appeared on his arms and legs and in the last week it looks like a patch is appearing on his right eye lid. The next suggestion from the drs has been UV treatment but I’m reluctant to do this due to his age when it’s not guaranteed to produce results. I have been researching diet, I hear blueberries work for some people? He is embarrassed by his Psoriasis, especially when swimming. Does anyone have any advice or can you point me in some sort of direction as a bit lost as to where to go next. Thanks very much Ben

Posted Wed 7 Aug 2019 16.32 by scouternorm

I haven't had psoriasis on anything other than my hands & feet, but CBD oil has worked wonders with my plaque psoriasis. Previously I had used Dovebet & was prescribed a drug called Soriatane, but neither worked for me.Possibly CBD oil would work for you, if you can get some. I have found relief with a topical application of CBD oil. I don't ingest it. It's expensive - $90 for a 40 mil bottle in Canada, it lasts about 1 month, and it's not covered by drug plans. In a little over 1 year, I would say that it has cleared up my hands & feet by over 90%. As CBD oil is used more and more, I am sure that it will relieve symptoms of a lot of afflictions. In Canada, we need a medical prescription to buy it from a producer, although we can now buy it online from a government store, without a prescription. I have uploaded before & after photos here: http://www.normtoogood.ca/psoriasis.htm Good luck!

Posted Mon 12 Aug 2019 14.11 by psoriasis123

Hi bdowdsbell I'm 15 and UV worked very well for me, I burned a little but nothing serious, and I'd been basically psoriasis free for 3 months, its starting to come back now. Some creams like vitamin D analogues work well and can be used forever in low amounts but I think cause your son is younger he will have to use an even smaller amount cause it has tonnes calcium in it. I know its hard to be young and have psoriaias and TBH it gets harder when you become a teenager and everyone becomes more self conscious, but I've managed to put aside the embarrassment

Posted Tue 13 Aug 2019 07.41 by bdowdswell

Thanks scouternorm and psoriasis123. I am also going to try different variations in his diet and see if that helps. It seems that different treatments work for different people and is just a case of trial and error until we find what works.

Posted Sat 13 Feb 2021 11.46 by Tracyjane

Hi my 12 year old son has developed psoriasis about a year ago & is using enstilar,quite a strong steroid given by the dermatologistIt keeps it down but I’d like to try something more natural so he’s started eating a handful of blueberries a day & moisturising every day & going to To see if I can ween him off the enstilar. I am willing to try light treatment After the lockdown if needed . It’s heartbreaking I know.

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 14.17 by Murphy

As I'm writing this I'm looking at my skin and thinking what it must be like for a kid to have this. Luckily mine only started when I was about 35, so it didn't interfere with my puberty. But it still hurts when you have a sexual partner who cringes at your appearance. After trying a few treatments my dermatologist finally decided on biologicals (I use Tremfya, generic name guselkumab). It's horribly expensive, around 2200 Euro's per dose. Thank god my health insurance covers it. But I'll need to take it for the rest of my life... The cost is mind boggling, 1 dose every 8 weeks means 6 or 7 a year, which translates into an easy 15k Euros per year :(. I quit it for a while because of Corona because there wasn't any information about the interactions with this new virus. But 6 months later i feel like a patchwork all over again. There's no easy way to deal with this. I an only say the best of luck to you and your son.

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2021 20.06 by LenRa
First plaque in 2018

Definitely try a few natural remedies doctor-prescribed creams. My best results have come from 2% coal-tar ointment called MG217 bought off Amazon. That plus coconut oil and natural luffa scrub are my daily control methods. The coal tar keeps the skin growth down so it's almost human-looking, but hasn't removed any patches. I'm sorry your son is at the age where skin trouble is most difficult. Extra long swim trunks and a thin cotton shirt might help the swimming issue, since most people expect boys to be regularly scuffed beyond the knee and elbow. (my first patch was at-first a knee scuff) The eyelid is a little scary.

To take part, sign in or register with us