Information

Posted Tue 24 Sep 2019 10.01 by Mattw

Hi I’m 42, and been having major issues with my back, arms feeling tired, knees hurting ankles hurting, and hands feeling like they are tight, and also keep having tight chest and headaches, My doctor referred me to the rheumatology department as soon as I got in he checked me over gave me an injection in my bum and told me this should take away the pain, he also did blood tests but they haven’t come back yet, the pain slightly eased off but is still there, if I keep walking around eases but if I sit or if I’m driving I get tired knees and arms ache, feel drained even when I’ve slept, I seem to be banging my head looking for help, and just wanted to know if anyone had any info or anyone else was going through a similar sort of thing, I’m sorry it’s long but I feel like there isn’t much out there of people going through the same issues, and I do have white psoriasis on my knees and elbows and three of my finger nails are always breaking off or loosing the nail, but I got told this was a fungal infection any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Posted Wed 25 Sep 2019 05.04 by wendyloish

Hi Mattw, Have you tried reading the posts already here? You will find that your story is a common one. Psoriatic arthritis is not the easiest thing to diagnose and the blood tests may in fact be used to rule out other things like rheumatoid arthritis, rather than to produce a definitive diagnosis. That being said, the fact that moving around helps is indicative [osteoarthritis gets worse with movement]. Who diagnosed the nail fungus? If it was not a dermatologist, be sceptical. My nail problem was misdiagnosed by a GP as a fungal infection. It was only when the strongest oral antifungals would not shift it that I got a referal. It took the dermatologist only a glance to conclude my nail problem was psoriasis. wendyloish

Posted Sat 19 Oct 2019 17.04 by Elspeth

I was the same - GP was taking the time to rule out other illnesses starting with rhematic factor but only took more blood when I made another appointment - she didn't pursue any further tests and was in fact sceptical of a consultant I saw privately - I saw a dermatologist who said i'd to ask my GP to refer me to a rheumatologist because of the swelling on my hands and pitted nails with loads of psoriasis - I was referred to a rheumatologist and saw him in 3 weeks. He literally took 2 minutes for diagnosis - apparently the key is getting a diagnosis as soon as possible which wouldn't have happened if Id to wait for my GP - my friend had to wait 4 years and is really ill with it . I know GPs can't know everything but early diagnosis must help NHS

To take part, sign in or register with us