Newbie recently diagnosed

Posted Tue 8 Oct 2019 19.02 by ShazzaUk

Hi I'm new to the site. I have suffered from Psoriasis for about 10 years mostly on my hands and feet with a small patch on my kneecap. I am 49 years old and have just started to get really painful joints/parts of my body. Both elbows, neck, shoulder and trouble with my knee which I am having a knee Arthroscopy on 27th November. I have also been suffering from very painful plantar fasciitis. I finally decided to see my doctor yesterday who thinks it is Psoriatic Arthritis. He is referring me to a Rheumatologist. Do these symptoms sound typical? I work in retail and I am either on my feet all day doing manual heavy work or sat at a checkout. Will I need to change my job/lifestyle. How serious is this. Any advice appreciated

1 Posted Tue 8 Oct 2019 19.14 by Johnboy_66

Hi there. My symptoms are pretty much the same as yours I must admit it a bit overwhelming after having no real problems apart from the psoriasis then 50 years later start getting painful joints I'm now on methotrexate injections once a week it does help slightly hopefully it will be the same for you if that's what you end up having.

Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 17.54 by Paul macbay
Hi. I'm Paul and I have had guttate & plaque psoriasis from the age of 4 and recently PSA which first started in my teens but was missed.

Hi Yeah it does sound typical of PSA. Do you have problems with your nails?(pitting, grooves, nails coming away from the bed) that can be another diagnosing tick in the box. Morning stiffness or stiffness when you've been inactive for a while and then are active swelling (not always tho) There are different treatment levels and options via your rheumatologist. It can take time to get that right but it is worth it in the end. Wish you well with it. Paul

Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 18.01 by Paul macbay
Hi. I'm Paul and I have had guttate & plaque psoriasis from the age of 4 and recently PSA which first started in my teens but was missed.

Sorry I forgot to answer your question on lifestyle and job - right now get on the treatment ladder and see how you get on. Treatments can really make a big difference it's just finding what works for you. Being active is recommended for PSA but be aware when you have a flare with fatigue especially up as you would need to manage your exertion levels. To give you an idea I work as a tree surgeon and groundsman and I can manage it by knowing when I need to not over do things and have an understanding employer if I need some lighter work. Take care and good luck. Paul

Posted Sun 13 Oct 2019 11.05 by Mac

Hi Shazza. I'd say if you where in the likes of tesso's, and they where willing to work with you, it could be one of the better jobs out there for someone with PsA, little bit of moving and sitting. Though i'm no expert, I was a builder and pushed on to long in that job, as with every thing in life looking back I would have been better seeking something easier sooner.

To take part, sign in or register with us