alcohol

Posted Thu 24 Oct 2019 9.24pm by JD

sorry if this has been covered i am new to this and have suffered psoriasis since 19 . My psoriasis is only now on my elbows and a little in the scalp >, Soon as i gave up drinking alcohol it started to go away. if i try to have a beer or a glass of wine it immediately comes back its a major trigger for me . Has anyone else experienced this ?

Posted Fri 25 Oct 2019 8.16am by mike andrews

If I go alcohol free for one month. My Psoriasis disappears only to return with the consumption of wine.

Posted Fri 25 Oct 2019 9.41am by JD

Yes I wonder if it might be worth setting up some control groups to try the various remedies and gain some accurate figures and results and formulate a best practise list of things to do to reduc the symptoms without medication

Posted Sun 27 Oct 2019 1.23am by wendyloish

I thought the Psoriasis Association was looking into the diet connection in their research programme. About the alcohol, JD, it might be the other things in beer, particularly, that are the trigger. An easy way to test this might be to try a non-grain based alcohol like vodka and see if the effects are the same as with the beer.

About the wine, Mike, red wine has abundant histamines, so it might be possible to avoid the problem by taking an antihistamine after drinking. Failing that, you could try drinking white wine as it has not the same histamine content. I found that switch was good for me.

wendyloish

Posted Wed 30 Oct 2019 4.43pm by JN

Is lager likely to be better than bitter/real ale?

Posted Wed 30 Oct 2019 10.10pm by wendyloish

Sorry, I am not a beer drinker so someone else will have to answer that one.

wendyloish

Posted Fri 1 Nov 2019 11.38am by Mac

High JN.

Keep in mind everyone is different, and what works for some doesn't work for other's. Sadly trail and error applies.

In my case lager is the worst, ale's aren't too bad. Thankfully Guinness (stout) is the best out of the lot for me :). In saying that too much of even Guinness, and things will go south :(.

Posted Thu 7 Nov 2019 10.48am by desennuis

I am 70 yo. Diagnosed at age 65 with psoriasis, mainly on legs. Spread to forearms and lower back ever since then. Used UVB light twice with some +ve results but returns easily. Used several emollients and continue with moisturisers every morning which helps.

I have been in the wine trade for almost 50 years. As an experiment I have decided to have an alcohol free month this November. After the first week (tomorrow) it looks like the redness has dissipated slightly but my plan is to see if at the end of a month there is significant improvement. Should that be the case then I plan to consume only one of four forms of alcoholic drinks. (Wine, Spirit. Fortified wine. Beer.) The test will be to establish if a certain type of alc drink promotes the psoriasis condition.

If the condition does not improve at the month end then I will continue enjoying the wines and Cognacs etc that I have enjoyed for 50 years.!

Posted Thu 7 Nov 2019 10.38pm by wendyloish

Hi Dessenuis,

I think that is a great plan and would encourage you to post the results of your experiment.

wendyloish

Posted Thu 7 Nov 2019 11.51pm by JD

Yes I think that alcohol has more than one effect

1.the alcohol is the irritant the body treats it as a poison

2. It causes poor quality sleep

3 which leads to stress

4 it reduces motivation which means things don’t get done

i used to drink a fair bit but now realise iit definitely causes a problem with my condition

1 month is probably not long enough

My self treatment plan includes

1. No alchohol

2 no processed food only home cooked

3 use simple olive coconut oils as moisturiser

4 avoid stressful situations

5. Now eating blueberries

6 taking regular breaks in the sun

7 mindful ness yoga jogging and regular excessive

Although my psoriasis isn’t that noticeable to others .

I thank god I have it as it’s an external warning that my body is not in balance and that my engine is under stress and it has forced me to change my lifestyle .

I am always looking to add to my list and really enjoy reading everybody’s comments jd

Posted Sat 9 Nov 2019 5.10am by wendyloish

Hi JD,

Looks to me like a great plan. One thing though that I would do - EAT the olive and coconut oils, don't just put them on your skin.

I wish I had known what you do and done what you are doing forty years ago!

wendyloish

To take part, sign in or register with us

The Psoriasis Association is the UK's leading national charity and membership organisation for people affected by psoriasis – patients, families, carers and health professionals Read More >

Get in touch

The Psoriasis Association Dick Coles House 2 Queensbridge Northampton NN4 7BF

Email: mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk

Tel :
01604 251 620
WhatsApp :
Registered with Fundraising Regulator -

© The Psoriasis Association Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number: 1180666 Scotland: SC049563 Privacy PolicyCookies

Site by Spoken Image | glitterfish

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you.

If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them.