Embarrassing genital itch and scratching whilst sleeping

Posted Tue 12 Nov 2019 16.46 by daveym

About 7 years ago I rather embarrassingly found myself to be scratching my anus in my sleep. I would wake myself doing it as it was a really intense scratch from the top to below the scrotum and right inbetween the buttocks. It would happen normally around a certain time of the morning but there were some occasions I never scratched at all. After this time I had an intense itchy sensation around the lower ankles but never really itched these in my sleep until the last couple of weeks where im now waking up to me intensely scratching my ankles and anus. Im not sure if the ankles are due to the cold weather as it normally occurs in winter time but one night the ankles felt like they were in fire and I was really scratching away. Fortunately I don't have long fingernails so it hasn't caused anything overly noticeable but there are round small bumps in places that appear to be slightly crusty and raised. I've got one round scaly psoriasis patch on my right knee caused About 7 years ago when I used to work daily on a bender knee and over time it redened the knee and ended up causing the usual patch that most identify as psoriasis. This patch has never gone but flakes off if using certain creams then reappears a few days later. A doctor mentioned that my anus was a case of genital psoriasis. It's really getting me down as my backside constantly feels sore and the doctors aren't really giving me anything that can relieve the symptoms. I dont want steroid cream. The problem with it being in the anus is it never heals due to its location. I think it started by overly wiping the buttocks with tissues after going to the loo and it's affected the skin as its discoloured and very red and sore with small cuts and grazes in places. I'm worried it could get affected. I need some kind of over the counter cream that can stop the night time itches. Can anyone help as I've given up with doctors.

Posted Tue 12 Nov 2019 17.17 by lindylou

I use Epaderm emollient ointment with good results. While it doesn't clear the psoriasis it does give relief from the itching and soreness. I use it morning and night and, while it can be greasy and sometimes marks clothes, I feel it is a small price to pay. I don't use it though when going out in my best silk dress!

Posted Wed 13 Nov 2019 04.39 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I had intense anal itching some years ago, irritated by washing excessively (as it gave a few minutes relief), and irritated by general habits. It used to wake me at night and generally drive me made during the day. A doctor I consulted in Canada while on holiday there in 1994 advised: - only ever use white toilet tissue, not coloured. - preferably wash rather then wipe with dry tissue - do not use soap on that area. He suspected a combination irritation reaction and allergy to my own faeces, fungal element and possible inverse psoriasis. At the time I had also had a recurring "rash" in my groin that was a combination of fungal and inverse psoriasis, I later realised. Since that time, I use E-45 shower cream to specifically clean around the anus, never soap or shower gel. I don't always wash with running water after a bowel movement, but I will apply a little E-45 to white toilet tissue and clean myself like that. It avoids any "scrubbing". I also use Andrex "classic clean washlets" (wet wipes) - I carry a pack with me when out. They break down in water quite quickly and help me to clean effectively. I do have an ointment which contains some steroid which helps the groin when needed. I used to use a thing called Tri-derm which I was prescribed while living overseas, but now in UK I use Trimovate. It is a combination steroid, antifungal and I think antibacterial. I use it for about 2 days every 6-10 weeks if I have an "outbreak". I have also found that by using cuticura slightly medicated powder after showering, to keep the whole region dry, I have far fewer outbreaks. I have not suffered any intense anal itching or had it so bad that it woke me, since 1994.

To take part, sign in or register with us