UVB sunbed hire in Glasgow

Posted Mon 25 Nov 2019 18.59 by chiquay
I have had psoraisis for 2 years. I am a 52 year old man. It started with a few odd spots on my scalp and has spread to my body.

Hi folks. I underwent UVB light therapy for 8 weeks at my local hospital and it almost completely cleared the psoriasis. I bought a sunbed (well and old sunbed, as they come up very cheap on Gumtree or ebay - people buy them and just do not have the space) and invested in Philips UVB tubes. Not cheap at 70 pounds each, but, oh my word, can we put a price on being clear? Anyway, my sunbed is in the Western Isles and I am in Argentina for a few weeks. The psoriasis has started to return. I am back in Glasgow for 4 weeks over Christmas and New Year and want to hire a UVB sunbed. They are available in other parts of the UK but I cannot locate one that is near Glasgow. Can anyone point me in the right direction? As an aside, being a lucky guy, I am off to Madagascar for 3 months after the New Year. My fifth time there where I teach English as a volunteer. The psoriasis clears rapidly with the sunshine and swimming in the Indian Ocean - but I want to be reasonably clear before going. We all know the self-concious horror of taking off our clothes on the beach! I have tan-through swimming shorts. All help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Posted Tue 26 Nov 2019 14.25 by Mrsp166
Living with Psoriasis and PSA :(

Hi there I currently live near Glasgow and had this very same problem! I ended up buying a 6ft 4 tube narrowband uvb lamp from EBay for under £600. It can be folded away in storage for when not needed and it saves the 3 days a week going to the hospital for it! It has been a lifesaver for me! Lisa.

Posted Mon 20 Jan 2020 16.39 by Louiseb

I currently live near Glasgow too and was looking to buy a uvb lamp (its just not practical for me to travel to hospital 3 times a week for light therapy). Didnt realise you could buy a sunbed and change the tubes worth thinking about. Was also looking to source one from ebay been looking but it just seems to be the smaller lamps. Also... the only place I could see to hire was down in England - you pay a £1,000 deposit and £200 for four weeks but you need to pick it up yourself!! Thanks for the info its a great help!

Posted Sun 1 Nov 2020 18.31 by sarah2206

Hi, has anyone successfully found a place to hire in Scotland? Also, Louiseb- where was the place in England? Thanks

Posted Mon 2 Nov 2020 18.17 by chiquay
I have had psoraisis for 2 years. I am a 52 year old man. It started with a few odd spots on my scalp and has spread to my body.

I ended up buying a 2nd hand sunbed and buying UVB lamps. Not cheap. The sunbed was cheap enough - the lamps were £70 each (X 10). But a good investment, in the long term. You can buy the lamps VAT free if you have severe psoriasis... I recommend. Sunbeds are cheap (if you have patience). They are things that folks buy and then realise the space that they take up and sell them cheaply. In my opinion, the NHS should supply them and, with disclaimers and education, they would prove to be more effective than all the potions and lotions that never work. Big pharma does not want a cure for psoriasis. Big gravy train for the shareholders. Good luck.

Posted Mon 2 Nov 2020 18.42 by Louiseb

Hi Sarah2206 ....cant remember place in England to hire it was just a google search. Ended up just buying one cost me £650 cheaper than renting. It comes with all the safety instructions and a bona fide seller. That was back in Feb this year. Its worked for me. Hope you find something suitable.

Posted Tue 17 Nov 2020 20.09 by chiquay

Buy a sunbed for £100 or less (lots for sale) and get your lamps (lights) from here https://www.psoriasiscare.co.uk/ They are £70 per lamp and you might need someone with technical knowledge to take the old one's out (you can sell them) and fit the new one's. Not rocket science but fiddly. Speak to the dermatological nurse at your local hospital about how to use them. They work - just have some patience and respect for the lamps as they are powerful. Good luck folks - hope this helps'

To take part, sign in or register with us