Oh dear, what is this?

Posted Mon 16 Dec 2019 22.11 by Kentish27

Hi All, and I believe I am right in saying unfortunately 'fellow sufferers'. But I am in a bit of a state of shock! My problems began back in the summer time, I was convinced that I had been bitten by some insect because I suddenly had a very small red itchy spot. But then on waking one morning I suddenly felt much more itchiness, and found three more bites. It was then that we began to suspect that it could be something else, because the bites began to appear on my feet where I had been wearing socks, and on one knee the spot had broadened out to about an inch square, it was very red, very itchy and covered in white silvery flakes. I now have (5 months later) more than 20 of these spots and patches, they itch like the devil and keep me awake at night. And so I turned to Dr Google - Psoriasis - Oh boy, what now, where is this going, what can I do about it. And then I saw 'Psoriasis Association' and so here i am. ready to learn all I can from you guy's, and ready to say Thank you for whatever suggestions you would kindly send me, The itchyness is my main problem at present, for although I and my wife are retired, we would like to be able live normally, and continually having to be awake at night is not good. My first question would be 'do I visit my GP for advice', I have a spoken to a pharmacist who told me to try Dermol 500 lotion which I am using, but the itch, whilst it has been reduced, it still is quite a problem. Any other suggestions please? I would be most grateful.

Posted Tue 17 Dec 2019 14.18 by Dmort

Hi there. I use antihistamines which seem to help the itch. A visit to your gp for proper diagnosis would be advised first though. They will be able to advise and prescribe the correct creams/ointment ect if it is psoriasis.

Posted Tue 17 Dec 2019 16.23 by Kentish27

Thank you Dmort - I did telephone my GP today. I explained to him and described the patches on my skin and he has prescribed Dovobet for me, to be used once each day, plus using the Dermol 500 twice each day. Can you tell me which antihistamine you use, I would like to try that as well? Kentish27

Posted Wed 18 Dec 2019 21.03 by Dmort

Hi there I tend to use cetirizine tablets, one daily, not expensive too buy either, occasionally will use piriton as can be taken more than once daily. I only use them if required. Hopefully the dovobet with help your skin. Also keep moisturised, this should help, balneum cream is what I use, prescribed by gp. Good luck.

Posted Wed 18 Dec 2019 21.07 by Kentish27

Thank you Dmort, and good luck and happy Christmas to you and yours Kentish

Posted Wed 18 Dec 2019 21.13 by Dmort

Your very welcome, same to you.

Posted Fri 20 Dec 2019 02.11 by Lawrence Bird

Mine started a year a half ago with two mosquito bites on my ankle and like yours, they got redder and larger and began to spread. Now I have a minimum of 500 spots on my arms and legs and now it's spreading to my back. I have both pain and itchiness. I take Norco for chronic neck and back pain and I have found it to work pretty well on the psoriasis lesions. I take Benadryl at night for the itching but when I get home from work I shower with an oatmeal shampoo which helps some and then after, I use Vicks Vapo Rub on all the itchy patches and it is very soothing, stops the itch immediately and prevents the scaling from returning until the next day. I tried the Dermatolgist's prescription of Clobetasol Ointment and Vectical Ointment and it did absolutely nothing and Clobetasol is one of the strongest topical steroids anywhere. I'm probably going to have to go on an oral medication like Otezla and begin light treatments because it is spreading at a very rapid pace. I hope you have better luck than I've had.

Posted Fri 20 Dec 2019 09.08 by Kentish27

Gosh, thank you Lawrence - so very sorry to hear of your particular experience. I feel that my own problem is heading the same way. the spots are now spreading at what seems to be a faster pace. Including to my arms and back. So the detail you have sent me is very interesting and I shall try some of what you say. My wife and I are going away for Christmas, and I am determined not to let it spoil things, but as you will know, the itching can greatly disturb sleep. Thank you again Kentish

To take part, sign in or register with us