My story

Posted Sat 4 Jan 2020 06.27 by Gary

Life is really rotten with this condition. I developed an outbreak on my index finger 5 years ago when my marriage broke down and now I only get to see my boys at weekends. The condition worsened when my mam passed away last year and now it is having a major impact on my job as a nurse. The area has grown to include both hands neck chest and arms. Nothing appears to help. Steroid creams just appear to accelerate the itchy areas, there is a constant burning and itchiness and small cuts are painful. Any advice on treatment will be gratefully received.

Posted Sat 11 Jan 2020 16.20 by Gary

Thanks for nothing no one wants to help no replies

Posted Sat 11 Jan 2020 18.25 by FairyDust (edited Sat 11 Jan 2020 18.27 by FairyDust)

Hi Gary sorry to hear that. But I can totally relate to what you are going through. My psoriasis came out all singing and dancing when my parents suddenly separated. It was all quite traumatic and on top of everything else I had to deal with painful flakey skin. Not good. Please discuss with your GP or hospital dermatologist the possibility of starting biological therapy. This is what I’m on now and there has been a massive different to my skin. Lifestyle and above all mental health. Remember you are not alone in this. Hope things Improve soon

Posted Sun 12 Jan 2020 18.12 by Gary

Hi thanks for replying. At least someone cares. Can you explain more about biological therapy? Im sure my doctor wont have a clue. Just keeps prescribing steroid creams that worsen my condition.

Posted Mon 13 Jan 2020 11.40 by PsoAdminMod (edited Mon 13 Jan 2020 11.41 by PsoAdminMod)

Hi Gary, Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with your psoriasis at the moment, it must be really difficult, particularly with your work being affected. If you would like to talk to someone for one on one support and advice we have a helpline which you can contact. You can get in touch by phone on 01604 251 620, email on mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk or WhatsApp on 07387 716 439. I hope this helps! Amber, Psoriasis Association

Posted Tue 14 Jan 2020 23.27 by Lasttime

Take a read here biological therapy take a look at other pages https://www.enbrel.com/plaque-psoriasis/about-enbrel-for-pso

Posted Tue 21 Jan 2020 15.16 by Bubblefish

Hi Gary Can totally relate to how stress and loss can make the condition worse. I've had my ups downs and further downs and it usually follows that it gets worse at those times. Though it can flare up for no obvious reason too but I find that rare. My experience over the last 37 years, I started with psoriasis at 5, where a GP is concerned is that they tend to follow a very small rule book with equally small options as to treatment. Why would they do more after all I doubt they've a UVB machine tucked away so they are going to be limited. I usually find that if the go to treatment isn't working a referral to a dermatologist is necessary. I've had to wait months but I've also had one the next day due to it being so bad. Steroid creams are usually reasonable I find at getting a bad outbreak under control but once you stop it often returns with a vengeance. Everyone thankfully is different. I can't offer advice on biologicals as I've avoided these purely down to choice but as I get older iam open to reconsidering them. Don't get me wrong, I doubt the answer lies solely with a dermatologist, they at least have options that may make things more manageable. Sadly as you no doubt know there's no cure but half the battle is dealing with how you feel and how it makes you feel. I've tried various things including counseling and acupuncture and have found a combination of different things helpful. I've just started eating blueberries, I'm willing to give most things a go now. Currently I have extensive psoriasis over most my body, I'm using creams of different types, cetraben and similar to ease the cracking and dead sea salt baths. It's a constant repetitive routine of applying something depending on how that part of me responds. But I know that it will respond after years of cycles of awful, improving and there but less noticeable. It's a case of finding what works for you. Try and get a referral if you haven't already. Wishing you the best of luck Helen

Posted Thu 6 Feb 2020 22.05 by Jane

Hi Gary I am a swimming teacher with this condition it is all over my arms and legs, I have tried a lot of things and at the moment I am I use a Hydromel to wash with I was told to cover my self with it and then use a soft brush I brought a baby brush once you have done this them wash it of. Pat your self dry and then the doctor has given me exorex lotion cover your self in a light layer and let it dry. then I have to put on a vitamin b cream which I am picking up tomorrow, I have to say I have only used this once and I haven't felt like itching yet, I have this condition for years but it hasn't been to bad but for the past 2 night I haven't been able to stop itching where normally I can resisted itching, I had enough this morning and got an emergency appointment with the doctor and I have to say it is the first time I have come out smiling (the doctor suffers with it and it did not tell me to give my job up which I get this said to me every time I have visited before ! All I can say to you from my experience is research what other people have used and may be try a few combinations of thing together i.e.I have a routine in the morning which is above then I have to apply a second lot of Exorex , and then do the same has morning before I go to bed. Not been using it long so will let you know how I get on. Keep you chin up ! it hard but you need to try every thing to find some thing that suit's you . Good luck !

Posted Tue 31 Mar 2020 18.08 by Jane

Hi Gary Have you manage to get any progress with your psoriasis?

To take part, sign in or register with us