Psa help please

Posted Tue 14 Jan 2020 7.40pm by Everydaynormalguy

Hi all I hope someone can help me please , I will try keep a long story short (ish) but iv been suffering with joint pain due to psa for about 6 years , I was working full time and nobody looked into the cause of my pain , every time I managed to get time off work to see a gp they just give me painkillers and that was that , each one put it down to wear and tear even though I’m only 30 lol. I recently had to quit my job as it was getting too hard for me to deal with the pain and exhaustion .I recently see a rheumatologist and he says there is 99.9% chance I have psoriatic arthritis and that would explain how iv been feeling for last couple few years . Im just wondering if some people can share their symptoms with me ? Because My fingers and certain joints swell up and hurt after using them , also my hips after walking and using them are really painful and I struggle to walk , but then some things can hurt after inactivity or randomly ? Is this normal ? As I’m struggling to find the right balance , I understand exercise is good but after walking my hips are really painful , i thought psa pain was worse with inactivity ?

Posted Wed 15 Jan 2020 9.27am by PsA@32

Hi there

I can certainly relate to this. I am now 35 and was suffering the same symptoms as you. Getting up in the mornings was a real struggle and even getting to the office from the car was a feat! It took a while to be referred to a rheumatologist who diagnosed PsA and proceed to try me on a number of treatments (methotrexate etc) which didn't really make a difference. I was finally given a biological treatment called Adalimumab and this has changed my life to be honest. I can do things and move around. I still have some joint pain and flare ups and get exhaustion - but at least I can get out of bed!

Work is an issue - before I was diagnosed I was taking time off, even signed off by the GP for a month. This just leads to feelings of guilt and that I am a burden to the work place. I am currently contracting and looking to what my next move will be this year. i have considered applying for PIP payments to help me with where I struggle.

Keep the faith, there are good treatments out there, its just playing the game to see what works for you. The fact you have been referred to the rheumatologist is a good and important step and will mean you are on the right track to managing the condition.

To take part, sign in or register with us

The Psoriasis Association is the UK's leading national charity and membership organisation for people affected by psoriasis – patients, families, carers and health professionals Read More >

Get in touch

The Psoriasis Association Dick Coles House 2 Queensbridge Northampton NN4 7BF

Email: mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk

Tel :
01604 251 620
WhatsApp :
Registered with Fundraising Regulator -

© The Psoriasis Association Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number: 1180666 Scotland: SC049563 Privacy PolicyCookies

Site by Spoken Image | glitterfish

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you.

If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them.