Unexplained bruising?

Posted Wed 19 Feb 2020 17.58 by Mausie

Hello all - I am not diagnosed but have many symptoms which tick all the PSA boxes. They have started very slowly over the past 8 years and there is one which mystifies my and may not be a symptom at all: unexplained bruising on elbows. It happened a few times, no pain, a little puffiness (I wouldn't call it 'swelling' exactly) and I only noticed when I was in front of the mirror drying my hair. The first time it happened, I made an appointment but the bruises were gone by the time I saw my GP then the next time it happened I just went to the surgery and asked if I could just show the GP in between patients. As usual it was met with indifference. I've since had this on my knuckles too and just last week after 8 days in bed with cluster headaches I developed 5 large bruises on my left leg. The GP told me it was perimenopause!! I've had 2 appointments with rheumatologist and bloods are always clear though I understand from reading personal stories that misdiagnosis and not pinning it down is very common. All xrays show 'wear and tear' etc. Thankfully my symptoms are intermittent at the moment although when they do happen they are scary and disabling even if for short periods. For example my hand gave way to a really sharp pain while turning the steering wheel at a busy junction. I almost let go of the wheel. It's the same with my sacroliliac joint which is so painful sometimes I hobble like an old lady even though I go running or walking for at least 4 miles every day! It seems to come and go for no apparent reason. Having said that, sitting down for too long always makes my coccyx hurt like crazy. My main pain is in my spine just below my shoulder blades. When it's bad it feels like it's burning and I believe is one trigger for cluster headaches. It also makes me feel 'fluey' and can knock me out for days. I don't feel that I suffer from fatigue but maybe that is what this is? For a while the index finger on my right hand has seemed 'bigger' (the nail on that finger is going wonky and has bumps, lines and dents although not that noticeable) I have some knobbly joints on some fingers too, but the other morning I woke to find it very puffy and a bit swollen looking. It's gone down again now but it felt really stiff for ages as if it would burst if I bent it too much. Combined with increasingly prolonged Raynaud's attacks this is making it difficult to use my hands sometimes. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Does any of this sound familiar to PSA sufferers? My grandmother had psoriasis and connective tissue disorder although I'm not sure which - that's the only link. Many thanks!

Posted Thu 20 Feb 2020 12.44 by OhNo_NotAgain?

1. There is no definitive blood test for psoriatic arthritis. 2. Do you actually suffer from psoriasis? You do not mention it at all.

Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 19.29 by Mac

I nearly certain that you can get PsA, then develop psoriasis latter. I wouldn't put money on it though, it's just rattling a round in there with all the other usless stuff.

Posted Mon 24 Feb 2020 08.51 by Mausie

I don't have psoriasis - the suggestion of PsA was made by VA helpline who told me that people don't always have psoriasis when they develop PsA. I'm 49 and think it may be to do with late onset. Apparently it's more likely if there is a family member with psoriasis, hence mentioning my grandmother.

To take part, sign in or register with us