Is this Psoriatic arthritis?

Posted Fri 21 Feb 2020 21.52 by Sandygal1971

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. Im 49 and have had mild psoriasis since the age of 21 years and it didn't really bother me. Just a few patches here and there that responded well to Betnovate. Over the past two years, my psoriasis has got progressively worse and I have it all over my shins, on my buttocks, patches on my back and all over my scalp. I have been given Dermovate and Memetasone but they dont make any difference. Around 6 months ago, I started getting alot of pains in my hands and feet. I had also started to have nails that were badly pitted and coming away from the nail bed. My GP referred me to a rheumatologist and they did an ultrasound scan and x rays and said that I had errosive and degenerative changes to my hands and feet and that there were no signs of inflammation. I wake up every morning with pains in my hands and struggle to walk as I am so sore on the sides of my feet and ankle. It wears off a bit late afternoon. Its worse after resting and I feel like an old woman. I know have pains on the side of my knee and I get the sausage fingers. My GP sent me to dermatology and they said I had severe psoriasis but the xrays they did recently said that again it was osteoarthritis of hands. My inflammation markers i.e CRP and ESR were abnormal range but she said that this is caused by psoriasis. I feel that there is more going on and that these joint pains are not just psoriasis. I limp at work and people are noticing it. Is it possible to have psoriatic arthritis and for it not to show up on an ultra sound or x ray?

Posted Sat 22 Feb 2020 03.32 by Astroman
Sufferer of P for 12 years. Nails, knuckles, elbows, knees & lower limbs. UV pt worked for a while, but returned soon after treatment ended.

Hi, I'm new to this forum - your post immediately took my attention. I'm a 56yoM who has over the last few years noticed my hands/knuckles and elbows breaking out. I have been using Enstilar to treat most of the patches. My nails as you have also described, have been detaching from the nail bed on both hands, If I snag them during work it's quite painful, I have to trim them down really low to avoid this. It really restricts my handling of small components though. My worry now lies with my center finger on my right hand which is becoming painful to flex and has been quite swollen for about 3 months now. I have an appointment to see a dermatologist in April, is it worth mentioning as a link could seem possible? Ian

Posted Sat 22 Feb 2020 20.20 by Sandygal1971

Yes I would say this sounds like psoriatic arthritis. Are you getting pains in the joints or pains anywhere in your feet. The nail involvement seems to be a strong indicator for psoriatic arthritis. Good luck x

Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 19.11 by Mac

Hi Sandygal1971. I personally would say it's possible to have swollen joints that don't show up on ultra sound or xray, if they haven't been swollen for a while. I have a couple of joints that swell and don't show on ultra sound or xray. Even though I have been in with my consultant at various times with the same joints swollen, then other joints show every time lol. Good luck.

Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 19.16 by Mac

Hi Astroman. With what you have said, I would be going to the GP to see if they could get you in with a rheumatologist, rather than waiting till April for a dermatologist to start the process. Good luck.

Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 21.45 by Astroman
Sufferer of P for 12 years. Nails, knuckles, elbows, knees & lower limbs. UV pt worked for a while, but returned soon after treatment ended.

@Sandygal1971 @Mac thank you for your kind advice - A little worrying, But thanks for the heads-up. I figure I have much to research, hopefully the answers will be here within this forum. Back pain has troubled me for a couple of years now, I don't understand why, I have not really been involved with any heavy lifting etc. - Related? I can cope with this but my fingers/hands are really important for my job/hobbies etc. Ian

Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 22.33 by Mac

I can understand your worry about pain in your hands/fingers interfering with your job/hobbies. I’m into model railways make most of my own stuff, and it can/does put a limit on the amount of small fine things you can work on in a day. Though if caught treated early enough you might be all right.

Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 22.36 by Astroman

Hope you are right... Hobby electronics is mine, everything is so tiny to hold.... :-(

Posted Mon 24 Feb 2020 20.38 by Sandygal1971

Thank you for the very helpful replies. I guess that getting a diagnosis is quite tricky. I just want to know what is wrong with me. So kind of you all to take the time to reply.

To take part, sign in or register with us