Should I expect steroid cream to completely clear psoriasis?

Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 19.03 by fr101

So, I've had these weird dry/flaky red patches on my legs for up to 18 months. My GP tried various creams a couple of which worked briefly but he decided to send me to dermatology as after 18 months as the initial patch had gotten bigger and another appeared after I grazed my knee outdoors - after the scab healed the skin where it had been went red and scaly. My skin doesn't seem go really scaly like some of the photos I've seen for plaque psoriasis, it's just red and a bit scaly. Visit one to dermatology consultant says you've just got psoriasis and why the hell have you been sent here - implying I'm basically wasting his time and my GP should have diagnosed it. I'm then asked if I have any other patches, I don't, so say no. He doesn't believe me and makes me strip off my outer layers to show him my elbows. I found that a bit distressing as I've no reason to lie. I'm sent away with some steroid cream, betnovate, and after a week the flaking stops and the skin gets less and less red. After 4 weeks it looks much better, not gone, but not flaking at all and much much less red. Is that normal? or should I expect the skin to totally clear up back to normal? Personally, I'm happy enough with the outcome but want to know if I should be pushing for getting the skin totally clear? or if settling it down is the best I should expect? Sorry if it's a daft question but I'm new to this so don't want to be fobbed off especially as my first experience with the consultant put me on edge a little. Thanks in advance

Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 20.22 by D Foster

A couple of things, the dermatologist is rubbish and should not have treated you like that and personally I would complain about them to your GP . Ask him if he will refer you to another dermatologist. If you have Psoriasis you need to catch it early as unfortunately cannot be cured in fact I would do some research and find out exactly what it is so you have a better idea what you are dealing with. We all respond differently to treatment and the treatment you are using is fairly standard for Psoriasis which can work quite well but you need to keep an eye on the situation as I am fairly sure that it will be back sometime. I have had it for around 50 years , another good site is the Psoriasis club ,no advertising just other people who are sharing the same problems. Google it. More information on there than any where I know.

Posted Sat 23 May 2020 01.28 by Londoner

To the original poster: it sounds like you might have Allergic Contact Dermatitis, as I've been definitively diagnosed with also. If you think there's a chance that might be causing your symptoms, you would need to speak to your GP to push for a referral to a dermatologist/allergist for patch testing for chemical allergens. I have just posted my own story about my experiences with the same on the "Treatments" discussion page of this forum. Good luck!!

Posted Sat 23 May 2020 09.24 by fr101

Hi Folks, Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. With everything going on in the world I'd forgotten about posting here until the reply arrived today. My skin is now pretty much ok. It took about another month after I stopped using the cream to settle completely and seems it just took longer than expected to respond and heal, possibly due to the length of time it had been there before getting treatment. I was actually later sent for biopsy due to the length of time it took to heal and how red it had looked after 4 weeks (they thought maybe early skin cancer) but in the gap between appointments my skin had almost completely settled. When I arrived for the biopsy the surgeon couldn't see what he was meant to biopsy so summoned a dermatologist and they both concluded that everything was fine and sent me home. Also wearing shorts lots and a bit of UV during lockdown has likely helped further as the patches are no longer being constantly rubbed on my trousers sitting cross legged at work - my WFH set up is impossible to sit cross legged! I was told it may well return and I'm due a follow up in July but as everything healthcare wise is tied up with covid-19 I doubt that follow up will happen. However, at least for now it's gone and I know that the sooner I treat it if it returns the faster it will heal. Thank you for your help Fiona

Posted Sun 31 May 2020 09.24 by Jane

Hi Guys this is what i have found helped me ! I use all of the following which help a lot ! 1) Hydromol ointment - I use this 3 times a day if you can but two will do , rub all over your body and us a babies hair brush rub this all over your body and shower off. Towel dry. 2) Exorex lotion - once you have towel dried your self put a thin layer all over your skin let it dry before putting your clothes on. To be done twice a day! 3) Silkis ointment - to be done once a day after your last shower and you have done all of the above. If that doesn't work I also have been given a mouse called - Enstilar which I put on just before I go to bed (I use this if I get a bad flare up). Hope this works for you and I know it is not easy but don't itch ! good luck!

To take part, sign in or register with us