The ITCH

Posted Fri 5 Jun 2020 16.25 by Seahorse

Hi guys! I’m so pleased you are all making such good progress! Keep up the good fight!!! I’ve become so tired of this awful affliction!! I’m 44 and was born with it as a baby, all my life I’ve suffered with most types, I itch like I have lice running all over me.... my toes feet and fingers are sore and puffy.... my scalp looks terriable with snow storms falling every time I itch which is every 10-20 seconds... my eyes are sore on lids and below.... my elbows/forearms are scared And scabby as is my back and torso with a weeping belly button, not to mention areas under my underwear! Even my ears look flaky and inside itch with the buildup... it’s hell and as are many of you I’m so fed up with people dismissing this as a mild affliction... I've given up going for help as the stress of medicating repeated and using meds has become to much, not even this wonderful sunlight makes it go.... This illness is horrid and so unfair!!!

Posted Fri 5 Jun 2020 16.46 by Suew

Hi I'm new to this and have found it helpful .I'm 74 and have been diagnosed with psoriasis about a year. I have had an itchy scalp for years but never red and with plaque so never did anything just used T Gel shampoo. I also have arthritis? My hands are very painful especially my fingers. My scalp is so itchy and sore covered in plaque. I finally went to the doctors . I have tried steriod treatment it worked but when stopped came back .Lotions,creams,shampoos cost me a fortune. Went back to the Doctor, then Dermatologist, Doctor again!!! Went online and found the Psoriasis Assoc. I am now trying blueberries 20 a day and actimel blueberry drink( 2 weeks). Also trying Oilitum cream and Oilitum shampoo, the plaque has definitely improved but still very itchy. I will keep persevering. It has been worse during Covid 19 Pandemic? It is good to be able to share all this with fellow sufferers I didn' t realise it was an auto immune disease and won't go away but can be relieved so I read !!!! Thank you. Sue

Posted Tue 10 Nov 2020 00.18 by Jane

Hi Suew l have heard that coconut oil is very good for the hair and your skin, l haven't tried it my self yet but will keep it in reserve if my other creams & wash's stop working. good luck. Jane

Posted Tue 10 Nov 2020 17.57 by Suew

Thank you Jane. Yes I have also read about coconut oil and have looked for it. In the meantime the doctor has given me Enstilar foam and I have found it has controlled the psoriasis to a certain extent and not as itchy. I usually do a few days then rest it and use Alphosyl shampoo. It has a conditioner and helps to keep it non greasy after the Enstilar treatment which is awful to wash out. It hasn't gone but has eased the psoriasis and I am learning to live with it ( and all the other things that hit you when you're batting on a bit) 🙄😆. Suew

Posted Wed 11 Nov 2020 21.03 by Jane

Hi, Suew l also use Enstilar and think it is great helping stop the itch, the only thing is that unless I keep using it comes back. I am looking at starting the Hanna Sillitoe plan to see if I can sort it out that way, I just need to get my head around it has it is a complete change of what you eat. Jane

Posted Fri 13 Nov 2020 21.51 by Amin Bhola

Having psoriasis for quite some time i realized foods such as eggs and red meat does trigger itch and inflammations

Posted Wed 18 Nov 2020 15.59 by Jane

Hi Amin there are a number of food items that can cause a flare-up, l have just started the Hannah Sillitoe plan which cuts out a lot of the nightshade family fruit and vegetable. I am on day 2 of the plan not having any problems yet! You should get the Hannah Sillitoe book radiant which goes through everything that causes skin flare-ups. Jane

Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 08.52 by Lel (edited Tue 29 Dec 2020 08.58 by Lel)

The itch is just horrific. I used to go outside and rub my feet on concrete for the relief all the while knowing I would pay for it after. Oh boy would I pay. I literally could not walk for days. Oilatum plus in the bath daily. I used to bathe my feet in it. Never hot water. Just luke warm. Soak for as long as I could. Pat dry. Id smother thr areas with lots of diprobase cream and if it was infected I would use the steroid creams. Betnovate etc Id lay there and allow the cream to soak in. Self care is number 1. I would do this daily religiously. Sometimes more Its all about putting moisture back into the skin. That is key. Good luck

Posted Thu 31 Dec 2020 09.02 by Gardenut

I started with this crazy itching about 10 years ago. At first my hands would get dry, cracked and painfully bleed and my doctor prescribed Eumovate, which stopped the itching and helped heal the cracks. It really did stops the itching. My hands are now perfectly fine but it has moved to my genitals and elbows. So I still use Eumovate and it gets rid of the itching for a few days and when it comes back I reapply the cream. However, I am going through a strange time at the moment. About 6 weeks ago I developed Shingles. I was treated with Co-codamol, Amitriptyline and Aciclovir but I have realised that since this treated for Shingles I have had no genital itching and my elbows are smooth, with no itching. I stopped all the medication weeks ago so I don't know what is going on but it's such a relief not to have that terrible, excruciating itch.

Posted Sun 7 Feb 2021 11.24 by LenRa
First plaque in 2018

Hi friends, new here but wanted to share some of my own solutions to the psoriasis itch. Coconut oil has definitely been my go-to natural solution. (keep off face and shoulders to avoid breakouts) But I've also found that coal-tar ointment is pretty good for smoothing out patches and fighting the ongoing itchiness of plaques. Right now, I'm using something called MG 217 Psoriasis. It's a coal-tar solution that smells like chemical and is greasy, but works when nothing else does. (wrap in plastic to avoid staining clothes) When the itch (and the flakes) get bad, I use a natural luffa sponge, sprinkled with Borax powder and a drizzle of moisturizing body wash to polish smooth without scraping raw. All three methods used as-needed have really helped.

To take part, sign in or register with us