Stiff hands

Posted Wed 15 Apr 2020 11.48 by Sharon

I’ve had psoriasis since I was a teenager, I’m now in my late 50s and recently I’ve started suffering with stiffness in my hands, especially when I wake in the morning. I have no swelling but need to manipulate my wrists and fingers and sometimes experience pins & needles too. This eases off but occasionally appears again at odd times during the day or evening. Could this be Psoriatic Arthritis starting to show my hands?

Posted Fri 17 Apr 2020 09.11 by CBMan

It seems at least possible. I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis about 12 years ago (early 40s) and for me the early signs were stiffness in the mornings in my knees and ankles that eased once I got up and started moving around, although I would get (what in retrospect I recognise as) acute flare ups in a particular joint (in my case usually finger or elbow) which would be very tender if knocked even slightly. Even now, with quite severe pain and stiffness from PA I don't have much in the way of visible swelling, except in some of my knuckles. As I understand it the morning stiffness is very typical of PA.

To take part, sign in or register with us