Scalp psoriasis and hair loss

Posted Tue 21 Apr 2020 06.47 by AliB

I have suffered from scalp psoriasis for8months now . After trying over the counter coal far shampoo I have now been seen by a dermatologist and was Prescott overboard scalp application to use for 4 weeks . By week 3 I began to notice hair loss . I completed the 4 weeks but now 3 weeks after the psoriasis is no better and my hair has continued to fall out and from having a full thick head of hair it is now extremely thin . After a telephone consultation with the dermatologist due to covid she has now prescribed enstilar foam application which also has steroid . Very worried sputtering this . Have also been suggested anaphyl 2 in 1 shampoo by her and someone else recommended alleging double effect shampoo. Can anyone advise please. Whilst I want to treat the psoriasis I also don't want to lose all my hair . I have also used moisturiser craven and 245th on my scalp at night . Any support please would be appreciated

Posted Wed 29 Apr 2020 14.26 by Lilac Lu

I too am losing my hair and now have about a quarter of what I had before. Scalp psoriasis appeared in October 2018 and I was advised by doctor to use Diprosalic. It took until July the following year before I was clear. However my scalp still itched, I went to the doctor whotold me to use E45 lotion on it. This made my hair very greasy and I had to wash it frequently, this in turn led to very dry scalp and further itching. Psoriasis has now returned and I have been presribed Enstilar foam which I am extremely concerned about as it seems as if the Diprosalic ruined my scalp and my hair no longer seems like my hair. It is coarse and grey (I dare no longer have it highlighted and anyway I am embarrassed to go eventually to a hairdresser as it comes out massively when washed as well was when brushed or even touched. Worried Enstilar will just be the same. I am feeling so depressed and just have no idea what to do. No face to face doctors appointments only via email.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 2021 13.50 by Survivor

Hi, The dermatologist I saw told me that Diprosalic did not cause hair loss (I went to see him primarily for hair loss, and he said I was losing hair because of psoriasis.) Psoriasis is mostly under control but I'm still losing hair and what is left is a terrible texture. I believe the hair loss is unrelated to the psoriasis now .. but why is it falling? No one seems to know. I think it's a condition that isn't researched or understood. It has ruined my life. I will never go out again, Covid or no Covid. I did pay to see a consultant and came away not really being any wiser about my problem.

Posted Fri 5 Mar 2021 11.53 by Leightonpaula

I have used t gel shampoo for the last 3 weeks ,and my scalp is completely clear !! And hairis growing back.

Posted Mon 8 Mar 2021 17.08 by pen

It helps to read that others have same problems as I do! It helps ME , but not others. I have tried so many things. Diprosalic and Synalar cleared up the scalp well but I am worried about using frequently. I now apply coconut oil every night and avoid steroids as much as possible. Mostly this works but it is not ideal! I hate washing my hair every day. Now I seem to be having a flare up so I am at a loss. T gel shampoo seems to make it worse so I use Capasal. Horrid stuff but maybe helps a bit. I want something natural and not steroids. My hair is very thick and I lost about a third a few months ago. It is growing back but doesn’t seem like ‘my’ hair. So depressing. Best wishes to you all.

Posted Mon 5 Apr 2021 22.03 by Margo Jawad

I use T Gel shampoo and feel it helps keep my scarp fairly clear. It can be quite expensive maybe between £7-£9 a bottle but when I went to a hospital dermatologist I was told I should be able to order it on prescription.

Posted Tue 6 Apr 2021 10.42 by yvonne

Try Nizoral

Posted Wed 7 Apr 2021 12.18 by june

I take zinc, vitamin,it's especially good in aiding hairless .

To take part, sign in or register with us